none
Using VDI for DR Solution on 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We have 1 DC and 1 File Server.  Initially I was going to spin up a dedicated server in OVH Cloud with p2p VPN and create a terminal server on the dedicated server and in a disaster I could restore the File Server and DC to the cloud server and I could allow 5 users to access resources and applications via the terminal server.

The problem I ran into is the application we use does not support this kind of environment because session data for the application is stored in the c:\SessionData folder and each user must have their own directory.  So VDI seems like a better alternative.

The problem is to keep costs down I wanted to just use one dedicated server.  and just have 3 virtual servers. DC, FILE and RDS.  what can I get away with regarding putting as many roles on a server as possible?

Example:

Virtual DC, Virtual File Server (RDS Roles), VDI all on a single Hyper-V server?  VDI on remote cloud server across p2p VPN and when failure occurs I restore the File and DC to the cloud hyper-V server?

I only need 5 users for VDI

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to deploy VDI, in general, one physical server with Hyper-V enabled is necessary, as RD Virtualization Host integrates with Hyper-V to provide virtual desktop collections. As I am not a cloud expert, I am not sure if your cloud server system supports Hyper-V server role? 

Besides, we can deploy VDI with all relate RDS server roles on one server, using Remote Desktop Services Installation wizard with Quick Start to deploy.

I am not sure how many servers/device are available, in general, due to security consideration, we build one DC(along with file server if necessary). Then, build VDI on another one which is sperate from DC. In order to avoid single point failure, we can build VMs on VDI server for back up about your DC and file server.

Step-By-Step: Deploying Virtual Desktops with Windows Server 2012:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/04/25/step-by-step-deploying-virtual-desktops-with-windows-server-2012/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:55 AM
  • So I will have a physical server running Hyper-V as a workgroup server.

1 Virtual DC

1 Virtual File server

1 Virtual RDS/VDI Server.  

Does this work or will the Hyper-V server be required to be in the domain.

Will the VDI role need to be installed on the Hyper-V workgroup or can the VDI server be virtual?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

>RD Virtualization Host requires that Hyper-V be installed on the same computer on which RD Virtualization Host is installed. 

Quote from “Remote Desktop Virtualization Host”(it is also applied to later OS version):
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd560648(v=ws.10)

As Hyper-V is not supported to be installed on VMs(guest OS). So, we should install both RD VH and Hyper-V on physical server.

Also, the Hyper-V server (also is your RD VH server), should be domain member.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:38 AM
  • What about using 2019 for virtual VDI and enabling Nested Hyper-V?
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

It should be working, there is a similar thread which discusses about it:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/397e9e34-9f4c-4615-a8ea-7edff3b4e047/rds-2016-nested-hyperv-hardware-assisted-virtualisation-question?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, June 21, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:20 AM
  • Would the windows 10 virtual machines run on the primary Hyper-V and the RDS/VDI would just be used to manage the VMs or would the windows 10 virtual machines have to live as VM's inside the Virtual VDI server?

Would just the Hyper-V managment console be needed to allow the VDI VM to manage the VM's which would be on the Hyper-V server that the VDI VM is installed on?

It would be preferable to have the windows 10 machines live on the same Hyper-V instead of nested vm's inside vm's.

• Edited by NBAYIT Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:51 PM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:48 PM
  • Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:12 PM
  • Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:13 PM
  • Still a little confused about design.  See images.  I would prefer to do option 1.  My concern is that nested VM's will see a performance degredation.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:14 PM
  • Hi,

>Would the windows 10 virtual machines run on the primary Hyper-V and the RDS/VDI would just be used to manage the VMs or would the windows 10 virtual machines have to live as VM's inside the Virtual VDI server?
    There are multi RDS server roles, if you want to deploy VDI, then, RD VH(virtualization host) server role is necessary, it is used to holds your VMs. So, your VMs should be installed on the same system with RD VH. That means, RD VH installed with your Hyper-V host, instead of the Hyper-V guest.

> Would just the Hyper-V managment console be needed to allow the VDI VM to manage the VM's which would be on the Hyper-V server that the VDI VM is installed on?
    One of RDS server roles named RD CB(Connection Broker) provides you the management console for your VMs and whole RDS deployment. Also, Hyper-V management is also needed as we need to install the VMs.

There is a topology that may be helpful for you to have further understanding about the VDI:

You can download the original picture via “Remote Desktop Services Component Architecture Poster”:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3262

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Friday, June 28, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:45 AM