none
People Search Not Working

Question

• Since the December SharePoint security patches were installed, the People search has stopped working, with the following message being displayed:-

Unable to display this web part.

In addition, looking at the ULS log the following exception is logged:-

12/18/2018 10:41:04.60 w3wp.exe (0x1D38) 0x2558 SharePoint Server Search Query g1j9 Exception Internal server error exception: System.ArgumentException: Extender control 'popupextender_1' is not a registered extender control. Extender controls must be registered using RegisterExtenderControl() before calling RegisterScriptDescriptors().  Parameter name: extenderControl     at System.Web.UI.ScriptControlManager.RegisterScriptDescriptors(IExtenderControl extenderControl)     at System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.ExtenderControlBase.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter output)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.SearchResultsBaseWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter output)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.CoreResultsWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter writer) System.ArgumentException: Extender control 'popupextender_1' is not a registered extender control. Extender controls must be registered using RegisterExtenderControl() before calling RegisterScriptDescriptors().  Parameter name: extenderControl     at System.Web.UI.ScriptControlManager.RegisterScriptDescriptors(IExtenderControl extenderControl)     at System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.ExtenderControlBase.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter output)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.SearchResultsBaseWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter output)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.CoreResultsWebPart.RenderWebPart(HtmlTextWriter writer) aee11ca4-d11c-4f19-a49e-c668593dadd5

One of the patches installed was KB4461465 which includes an update to the Search Server 2010 Core component, and I was wondering whether this is the cause of this issue. 

Thursday, December 27, 2018 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Jocelyn,

Do you mean the in-built people search function? Or do you mean a custom search web part? Can you searcha afile?

Have you run the PSconfig wizard after the installation of Security updates? Try to run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard (psconfigui.exe or psconfig.exe with the correct parameters), then check the results.

To troubleshoot this error, follow these steps(check results after each step):

1. Make sure the user profile synchronization service and the forefront services are started.

2. Run a full crawl and check the results.

3. Do an IISRESET. 

4. Verify that all the servers have the same time zone, daylight savings, and "Date and Time" settings. If these settings differ, a clock error can occur. This error prevents the search from functioning correctly.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 31, 2018 7:38 AM
  • I am in the same boat, I've gone go far as to delete the index and do a full crawl and have the same issue.  Search is working, it returns result counts but it is unable to render the People Core Results. It can render normal search core results fine.  Anyone find a fix for this?
    Monday, December 31, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Hi Allen,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I've been off during the Christmas period.

The issue is with the OOTB people search.  The search finds results, but the webpart used to display the result fails on the peopleresults page.

We have the same issue in our test environment, where the servers are re-booted everyday, which in affect does a IISRESET. In addition, the SharePoint configuration wizard has been run in the test environment to see if it would resolve the issue, but it didn't

When you enter a  person's name using the "Search this site" facility, then the system displays the required search results.

The error message mentions using SharePoint Designer to troubleshoot the problem, but when I tried this in our test environment, SharePoint Designer was unable to open the page (peopleresults.aspx)

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 9:49 AM
  • On the same boat.

1. Ran through the SharePoint Configuration wizard

2. Rebooted the servers

3. Fully crawled the People Content source

peopleresults page ends up with "unable to display this Web Part. .." error message. When switched to "All sites" tab and clicked on user listed in "People Matches" it worked just fine.

Appreciate any help.

Manohar

Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:56 PM
  • Hi all,

I am not sure if this issue is related to the update.

I will install the update to check the results in my environment. If there is any update, I will post here.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, January 4, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Hi Jocelyn,

I have done a test in my environment and also reproduce your issue.  The people search finds results, but the webpart used to display the result fails on the peopleresults page.

I suggest you open a ticket for conform this issue. Then there will be more professional engineers to help you.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, January 7, 2019 3:29 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue in my SharePoint 2010 environments.

Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem,
    open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor
    such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web
    server administrator.

• Edited by C1TonyB Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Hi Allen,

I see that there is another security patch in the January release relating  to SharePoint search, which we plan to install in our test environment tomorrow to see if it resolves the issue.

regards

Jocelyn

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Same here, I've tried restarting servers, opening the peopleresults.aspx page in SP Designer and saving it, editing properties of the web part like display, results query, appearance, layout, etc., created a new page with only the "People Search Core Results" web part, changed XsltTransformTimeOut from 1 sec. to 5, and checked log files for additional information.

When I search in All Sites, people results show up in the right hand column, so users can still find people by searching.  We don't think this can be fixed on our end, maybe the next update will contain a fix.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hi Jocelyn,

I have installed the January patch in my test environment yesterday to see if it can solve this issue. However, no changes after installing January patch.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same Problem in our SharePoint2010 Farm and discovered following articel:

>>https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4461580/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforsharepointfoundation2010december11201<<

It refers to an articel to KB 4052414

>>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052414/loading-behavior-no-longer-available-in-search-results-web-part<<

which describes a solution, which worked for the used problematic Webpart.

I deactivated "Enable Asynchronous Load", and the Webpart worked as before.

Maybe, this hint helps.

Best Regards,
    Bernhard

• Proposed as answer by cmillerLCE Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:24 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Thanks @Bernhard Frühstück for taking the time to share those links and solution! Seems to be working in my environment.
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Thanks Bernhard.

I implemented the solution and search results are returning people again.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hello Bernhard,

I'm not able to resolve this issue. I've executed the following PS script. Appreciate any help.

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    clear
    Add-PsSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$site = Get-SPSite "http://portal.contoso.com" 
    $web = $site.RootWeb

write-host $web
    $site.RootWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $true
    #$site.RootWeb.AllProperties.Add("SyncSearchAllowed", 1)
    $site.RootWeb.Update()
    $site.RootWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $false

Manohar

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Hello Manohar,

Did you uncheck the Checkbox "Enable Asynchronous Load" in the webpart settings (in the AJAX Options) of the concerning webpart?

This has to be done for each used Webpart separately.

Regards,
    Bernhard

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:14 AM
  • Hello Bernhard

I do not see "Enable Asynchronous Load" in webpart properties.

TIA

Manohar

Manohar

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Hi Bernhard,

thank you for the links you provided.  A colleague tried this out in our test environment and it resolved the issue.  We just now need to raise the required change documentation before we can update the production environment

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:10 PM
  • # ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    clear
    Add-PsSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$site = Get-SPSite "http://portal.contoso.com/Search" 
    $web = $site.RootWeb

write-host $web
    $site.RootWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $true
    $site.RootWeb.AllProperties.Add("SyncSearchAllowed", 1)
    $site.RootWeb.Update()
    $site.RootWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $false 

============

Executing the above script Checkbox "Enable Asynchronous Load" on core results web part became visible. It was not visible earlier. Once it is visible and enabled, just uncheck it. Search started working.

Thank you Bernhard for the links.

Manohar

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Did anyone else notice the script does not reset the site property AllowUnsafeUpdates back to false?

AB

• Edited by Allison B Sunday, January 20, 2019 4:59 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 4:59 PM