MS SQL 2008 Management pack in servers with a large number of databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 3 SQL 2008 servers running on a cluster. These servers run a large number of databases,say 500+. Whenever monitors like DBSpace run, I get the server at a 100% for a while. It just kills the server.

I'm thinking of a few approaces and would appreciate some tips on that area:

- Changing intervals for rules and monitors that deal with bulks of databases - I changed  the intervals, but since I can't really control when they're going to run, I'll just have to deal with them a few times a day. Any other ideas on how to make these datasources less CPU intensive or just not killing the server every 15 minutes (or whatever interval I set)?

- WSRM - working on controlling affinity for Healthservice and Monitoringhost to one of the processors, so it won't take the whole machine when running.

- SQL 2008 Resource governor - didn't check it yet, but could be an option.

Thank you

Jose Fehse

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:23 PM

Answers

• The Mp defaults for discovery are greater than four hours.  Check to see you don't have overrides that are effecting you otherwise.
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, December 6, 2010 3:25 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• Replying to myself.

Working on option number 1, I created groups of DB files, DB Log files and DB File Groups and created overrides to change the default interval from 15 minutes to 1 hours.

I created overrides to all monitors involved and to all rules that deal with SQL files (they seem to be the villans), pointing to the correct targets.

Scom will run the scripts every 15 minutes, no matter what.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks,

Jose Fehse

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:50 PM
  • The Mp defaults for discovery are greater than four hours.  Check to see you don't have overrides that are effecting you otherwise.
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, December 6, 2010 3:25 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:30 PM