none
Problem installing the evaluation copy of Project 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the evaluation copy of MS Project 2016 and chose the 64 bit version (my OS and processor are 64 bit and assumed my version of Office 2016 was too). 

When I initiated the installation file, I received a pop us stating that I couldn't use 64 bit because the Office s/w on my computer was 32 bit.  It asked if I wanted to install the 32 bit; I said YES.  It started doing something then gave me another pop up saying that there was an error (Sorry something went wrong.  We ran into a problem.  Error: 30016-4).

I called Microsoft and they tried to help but ultimately told me that since I hadn't bought the software and had downloaded the file, it was my problem if I couldn't get it to install. 

If I wasn't taking a project management class at my local community college, which requires that I download the evaluation copy to use for the class, I'd forget about the whole thing.  But I need this software - and soon.

I checked my start list and Project is not in it, so I don't think there's anything for me to uninstall.

If anyone has any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it, I'd appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:10 AM

All replies

• You should be able to find the 32-bit version of the trial version to download on the Microsoft web site.  Download and install that.  I doubt the 64-bit version has a 32-bit version with it (although the message your report clearly suggests that... dunno).  

As you discovered, the bit-matching has to be with Office versions (not operating system)(

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:18 PM
  • That was the first thing I did - download the 32 bit version.  I now have both exe files on my hard drive.  But when I start the 32 bit file, it ends up giving me the error message.  It never even asks me for the KEY that I was given when I downloaded the file.  Interestingly, the KEYs I was given for the 32 and the 64 bit versions are the same #.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:26 PM
  • My only other idea is to

• do an un-install of any version of Project which has been installed (in Control Panel)
    • do a repair of Office (just in case it fixes anything)

Then start again with the 32-bit version.

I never installed the Trial version, so shooting in the dark based on a bit of experience over the years with Windows.  At worse, you can un-install Office fully, then re-install, then do Project trial.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:29 PM