Cannot get SCCM 2012 SP1 anywhere? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade a stand-alone SCCM 2012 (no sp) to SCCM 2012 SP1 but struggling to find the SCCM 2012 with SP1 iso anywhere. I downloaded the SCCM 2012 with SP2 iso but during the upgrade pre-checks it tells me this is an invalid upgrade path. I'm guessing i need to go SP1 first. My end goal is to upgrade to the latest SCCM 2012 Current Branch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:21 PM

Answers

• > "for client remote access"

Do you mean remote control?

> "Would you agree this is the best way forward? "

It's technically valid but the decision depends on a lot of different factors. You could also perform a [side-by-side] migration from the old site to a new site.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by madmanp Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:21 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 6:16 PM

All replies

• That's because neither 2012 nor 2012 SP1 are supported anymore and haven't been for many years (at least 4-5) and so Microsoft doesn't make the media available anymore. You'll need to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) directly to get it.

Note that you don't need to install 2012 SP2 to upgrade to CB, just 2012 SP1. Note however that the latest CB baseline (1702) doesn't support Server 2008 or 2008 R2 for the site server or most site systems so you need to plan for that as well if necessary.

• Proposed as answer by Lorry Luo Friday, January 5, 2018 6:25 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

Please reference the following ConfigMgr upgrade documents:

Upgrade to System Center Configuration Manager

How to upgrade clients for Windows computers in System Center Configuration Manager

Upgrade on-premises infrastructure that supports System Center Configuration Manager

Supported SQL Server versions for System Center Configuration Manager

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Lorry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Sorry I provided incorrect information.  I now have full access to the SCCM server and can confirm its actually running SCCM 2012 R2 (no sp) and SQL 2012. It's a Win2008R2_SP1 server should that make any difference.

Am i correct in saying i can upgrade directly to SCCM CB 1702?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

• Edited by madmanp Friday, January 5, 2018 3:32 PM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 11:17 AM
  • > "Am i correct in saying i can upgrade directly to SCCM CB 1702?"

Unfortunately, no. First, see the first page linked to by Lorry for the official documentation which lists all supported paths. As I noted earlier, Server 2008 R2 is not supported for any site systems or the site server for 1702 (and beyond).

You have two main options:

1. Upgrade to 1606, upgrade the OS to Server 2012R2 or 2016, then upgrade to 1710 (I think you can go from 1606 to 1710 without any intermediate upgrades but don't remember specifically offhand). This path assumes that you can still get media for 1606 which has been out of support for about 4-5 months now already -- I simply don't know if you can or can't at this time anymore.

2. Backup and restore your site to a server 2012 R2 or 2016 system, upgrade to 1702, then upgrade to 1710.

Both have some complexity and pain but both are supported, doable, and have been done by others.

Friday, January 5, 2018 3:55 PM
  • Hmmm ok and thanks for the feedback.

We currently only using SCCM to deploy applications and for client remote access. Given the time and effort required to upgrade we are now considering a clean deployment of CB1710. Would you agree this is the best way forward?

If so could we setup a new site on the new 1710 server and run it along side the existing SCCM server/site. Then move the clients over to the new site before decommissioning the SCCM2012 server/site?

Monday, January 8, 2018 5:16 PM
  • > "for client remote access"

Do you mean remote control?

> "Would you agree this is the best way forward? "

It's technically valid but the decision depends on a lot of different factors. You could also perform a [side-by-side] migration from the old site to a new site.

• Marked as answer by madmanp Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:21 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Sorry, yes remote control of client devices.

Ok i think this sounds like the best way forward for us. I'll provision a new Win2016 server and a clean install of 1710. We can then either look at a side-by-side migration or just start from scratch.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:21 AM