none
DPM 2010 - volume mount points not descriptive RRS feed

• Question

• In DPM 2007, we could identify volume mount points easily because the server name was part of it.  This was great when looking at it using Explorer or (more importantly for us) the command line (using mountvol).

Now with DPM 2010 the volume mount points are completely vague.  With the mountvol command, instead of getting something like this:

\\?\Volume{guid }\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\server.domain\File System\C-guid \

we get:

\\?\Volume{guid }\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_guid \

From glancing at this we can't tell what server or server drive letter this volume is for.  Is there a different way to determine this from the command line ?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:43 PM

Answers

• You can use the following SQL script to extract the data source to replica volume path and volume guid mappings.

use DPMDB
    select ag.NetbiosName, ds.DataSourceName, vol.MountPointPath, ds.DataSourceId, vol.GuidName
    from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr
    on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server as ag
    on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId
    join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol
    on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID
    and vol.Usage=1
    order by NetbiosName

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you want to know witch replica volume that is attached to a protected member look in the DPM console. Mark the protected member and look at the bottom of your console, you will se a link next to the Replica Path: that says Click to view details. If your click that link you will get a new windows that will present you the destination in the DPM server.

You can also copy that path and put it in the "run" command in the start meny after removing the source (copy and paste it in notepad you will se what I meen) you will get access to the replica.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Yeah, I know about the DPM GUI. But I want to determine it from the command line like we could with DPM 2007.

We have custom tools built that assist with various DPM functions, and they determine which server/drive a particular volume belongs to by using mountvol and parsing the output.  Now we can't do that.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Ok, so I have somewhat worked around this by writing a program that enumerates all volumes, then looks for and parses the DatasetContextInformation.xml file.  From that I can get the server name and protected member (drive letter, etc).

The only problem is that XML file is not present before the initial consistency check or replica creation.  This is inconvenient because one of the reasons I want this ability is so that I can programmatically locate the volume in order to copy replica data via USB.

Is there another way to programmatically determine the protected server/member for a given volume?

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Any solution on this would be wonderful as I have the same issue as Rod Savard.  We backup to tape volumes from DPM and it's hard as heck to try and figure out what I am backing up simply based on the volume guid versus the server name like in DPM2007.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:04 PM
  • You can use the following SQL script to extract the data source to replica volume path and volume guid mappings.

use DPMDB
    select ag.NetbiosName, ds.DataSourceName, vol.MountPointPath, ds.DataSourceId, vol.GuidName
    from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr
    on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server as ag
    on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId
    join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol
    on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID
    and vol.Usage=1
    order by NetbiosName

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:31 PM
  • At that point I might as well parse the XML file to get the information.

I appreciate your help but understanding the change is what I am trying to get at.  This is really one heck of a change and I am sure there is a reason for.

Trying to manage a tape solution independent of DPM (using the DPM storage volumnes) purely off GUID's is rough....

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:33 PM
  • The purpose of the change was to support co-location of multiple data sources on a single replica volume.  There is no longer a 1 to 1 relationship between a server-datasource and a replica volume like there was in DPM 2007.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Too bad they didn't just do this for colocated volumes.  We do not use colocation and find the new naming convention very inconvenient.

The custom app I wrote is working for the most part but it doesn't work for determining what server is associated with an empty replica volume (as the XML file is not yet present).  Wish there was another way to programmatically determine this information.  I will test that SQL query but I don't think that will work so great in our case.

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:36 PM
  • I totally agree w/ Rod on this one, but I guess there isn't much we can do about it at this point.  I'll just need to continually run the script above and keep track in 2 applications now for backup purposes.

Thanks for the information.

Monday, August 16, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Can the SQL script be run from the command line? Using sqlcmd or....?
    Monday, August 16, 2010 4:04 PM