Change of language version on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate Swedish installed. I have a problem with a third party software

that can not handle national characters in the file path, type "Lokala inställningar". I can change the language on

the laptop but that does not help, the file structure is intact.

Is it possible to do a reinstall of an English Windows 7 Ultimate and at least keep most of the information about programs and data?

This is really a "de javu" from  the seventies when I was working for IBM in systems support.

Ingvare

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:57 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:16 PM

Answers

• Maybe I was not clear enough. It is Google that installs an addin in the path connected to my user-id and that contains national characters. I see no possibillity to change that.

Then the software that is going to use that addin makes a mess of it. Anyway I have got around using a computer with an English version of W7 and I am reporting the problem to the supplier of the addin.

Ingvare

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, March 4, 2013 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:13 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to install English mui pack and then change the display language?
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Like I said. That changes the display language but it does not change th file structure. And yes, I tried that. Still got "lokala inställningar" in the file path for the SW and that does not work.

Ingvare

Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you change the system locale to English and see if it make difference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-system-locale

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:58 AM
  • First of all, I would press the third party to find the solution for the software they make.

Second, you can try to make junction point with:

MKLINK /J Link Target

For example, on my system there is a following junction point which you can see with...

C:

CD \

C:\>dir /al
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 662D-B62C

Directory of C:\

14.07.2009.  06:08    <JUNCTION>     Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
                   1 Dir(s)  447.083.122.688 bytes free

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:20 AM
  • I am working along 2 paths.  I have installed an English version W7 Ultimate on a separate computer. Everything works there.

I am also forwarding the problem to the software support for the product. I just wondered if a change of language or locale would

work. Language obviously do not work, tried that.  Locale?  Doubt it. I will stick to the current solution of a separate computer until

the SW fixes the problem.

Les52.  Really dont understand the concept "junction point" and how it could possibly help out

Ingvare

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:44 AM
  • I believe he's trying to point out that if there's an issue with the file path used during the installation, you could make a junction to that same location where you'd want to install the software to, or run it from (I can't see if it's installed and doesn't work, or can't get it to install) using a completely different path.

Alternatively, cant you just install the software to a different location completely?

I'm still not sure what exactly the problem is so I'm still kind of thinking out loud.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Maybe I was not clear enough. It is Google that installs an addin in the path connected to my user-id and that contains national characters. I see no possibillity to change that.

Then the software that is going to use that addin makes a mess of it. Anyway I have got around using a computer with an English version of W7 and I am reporting the problem to the supplier of the addin.

Ingvare

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, March 4, 2013 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:13 AM