New to Hyper-V - Configure VM to Connect to Physical HBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am deploying Windows 2008 with Hyper-V enabled in my environment. I already installed Windows 2003 VM and need to communicate to HBA in physical host. Is there any other possible way to configure my Hyper-V so that my VM can talk to physical HBA? I am intend to configure my VM to become SAN management server because of the SAN management software is not supported yet in Windows 2008.

Here my environment:
    1. 1 host server (HP DL380) installed with Windows Server 2008 Std Edition. Connected to SAN.
    2. 1 guest VM running Windows Server 2003.

Please help me.
    Nik
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi!

You will not be able to connect the HBA directly to a VM, because there is no way to get the physical card into the VM. This is the same problem as with USB devices. The only thing you can do is to connect a LUN to the host and then attach the disc as pass though disc to the VM, but I don't think that this is what you wanna do?!

kr,
    Andreas
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to configure your Windows Server 2003 VM to act as the SAN management server, this would require that the HBA is exposed directly to the Windows Server 2003 VM. Unfortunately, currently this function is not available in Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V. Also, based on my research, it is not supported by the third-party providers either.

For more details, please refer to the following Blog article and a previous forum thread:

Jose Barreto's Blog : Storage options for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V

http://blogs.technet.com/josebda/archive/2008/02/14/storage-options-for-windows-server-2008-s-hyper-v.aspx

Child VM uses NIC card instead of installed qlogic iSCSI HBAs for iSCSI I/O paths : Hyper-V : Windows Server : Microsoft TechNet Forums

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/edb0825e-d487-4b97-83c8-e6347ea75d47/

Hope it helps!

Regards,
    Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:26 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:44 AM