Outlook 2003 (on Win 7) cannot find SMTP RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2003 SP3 on Windows 7 cannot find the outbound SMTP server. I have this problem on 2 Windows 7 boxes. I have Outlook 2003 on XP working with the same SMTP settings and I have Outlook 2007 on Vista working with the same SMTP settings (on 2 other boxes).

What is the problem with Windows 7 running Outlook 2003?
    DanHal
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• can you ping the mail server from the boxes?
    what does nslookup return??

Monday, March 1, 2010 2:31 AM
  • I can ping and nslookup is fine. I use the same mail server for incoming mail and Outlook test connection works fine for incoming, but the same outbound mail server fails. I even have check to use the same credentials. And from my other boxes on the same home network all work fine, so it is not a network problem. I'm convinced it is something in Win 7 not compatible with Outlook 2003. Suggestions?
    DanHal
    Monday, March 1, 2010 6:24 AM
  • I get the same results if I use a completely different outbound SMTP server. Using smtp.att.yahoo.com works on the XP and Vista box, but not on the Win7/Outlook 2003 box (with the same exact settings and creds).
    DanHal
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:32 PM
  • No I do not think you have an issue with 2003, as it is compatable. and we have it on few win 7 boxes without issues.

you need to look at your setup, A/V / port used..
    some ISP's block port 25 and you must use their outbound or use a second port (2525 / 587)

so check the ones that are setup and make sure they are not using a different port.

Can you telnet into the mail server??? Or atleast get rejected when you try.

Monday, March 1, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Assuming you can ping the SMTP name (or ping the SMTP IP address).

Is their a firewall or antivirus stopping it?

Can you TelNet to the SMTP server using port 25?  telnet w.x.y.z 25 (Replace w.x.y.z with SMTP IP address)

(For example, some antivirus mass mailing blocking rules stops programmes emailing on Port 25 unless programme is registered in the rule. A ping will work as Ping is a ICMP packet rather than a TCP port 25 packet blocked by the rule)

Good luck,

Ed Hall MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by EddHall Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:56 AM
  • It was the SMTP port! Good call Ed. The default was 25, changing to 465 solved my outbound problem. Thank you.
    DanHal
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:44 PM