NkMC2 Unspecified Error RRS feed

• Question

• I often get a dialogue box with "NkMC2 Unspecified Error"  running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I close the dialogue box and continue.  Can anyone tell me what this is or how to get rid of this?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:57 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, NKMC2.exe is either a legitimate file or a program that contains vulnerable codes of security threat inside your PC. NKMC2.exe  may have different functions that is needed and called to certain program.

The error message can occur if either of the following is true:

NKMC2.exe is corrupt or deleted.

The computer is infected with a virus or malware programs.

Damaged registry entry.

To resolve this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Run the command to repair the system:

SFC /SCANNOW

2.     Update the security software to scan the whole computer and see if there is any virus infected.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:55 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, NKMC2.exe is either a legitimate file or a program that contains vulnerable codes of security threat inside your PC. NKMC2.exe  may have different functions that is needed and called to certain program.

The error message can occur if either of the following is true:

NKMC2.exe is corrupt or deleted.

The computer is infected with a virus or malware programs.

Damaged registry entry.

To resolve this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Run the command to repair the system:

SFC /SCANNOW

2.     Update the security software to scan the whole computer and see if there is any virus infected.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:55 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:15 AM
  • As far as I can tell, NkMC2 is Nikon Message Center 2 which is supposed to look for updates to your Nikon software and camera firmware.

I've got got several pieces of Nikon software on my Windows 7 64-bit and started getting these "Unspecified errors" starting in August 2010.  Probably an update from MS got installed that the Nikon app doesn't care for.

Since Message Center never seems to find updates, even when a manual search of the Nikon site shows there are newer versions available, you may want to uninstall Nikon Message Center and look for updates youself.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Nikon has yet to come to grips with UAC.  Log in as an administrator and things should be fine.
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 12:48 AM
  • You get this error when you log in as a non-administrator if NKMC2 is unable to connect to the Nikon website.  If you are an administrator and you manually start NKMC2 and click refresh it reports a more meaningful error.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:16 PM