Highly Available Management Servers in SCVMM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I need to build Highly Available Management Servers (2) (SCVMM 2012) for my environment.  I am interested in following things:

1.  What are my options.  I have done little reading and seek confirmation that without building a windows failover cluster, one is not able to build HA SCVMM Management Servers?  Am I correct in understanding this?  If so, do I need a shared disk as well to create a cluster first and then install Management Servers? 

2.  What service accounts or groups are need during the configuration and what would be their permissions on respective servers such as Hyper-V Hosts and in Active Directory?

3.  Do we really need to create a container in Active Directory for an HA SCVMM scenario?

4.  Can HA solution be implemented without the WFC?

5.  Would appreciate, if you could share some of the links to blogs/articles about step by step instructions to it.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:38 PM

Answers

• easy.  create 2 node  cluster-nested virtual or physical, no matter.  if virtual, set affinity (rather lack of to keep them on separate nodes-also build  a sql cluster as well and also keep them on separate nodes)follow the articles.  I found no less than 10 step by steps when searching for when I built the HA SCVMM / SQL environment for my company.

MS article and third party, as you can see they are pretty straight forward to follow.  Best of luck.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610678.aspx

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2013/08/how-to-install-a-highly-available-scvmm-management-server/

Brian

• Edited by bdavid01 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:32 PM missed key words
    • Proposed as answer by bdavid01 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by TechNet Junkie Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Thank for the reply.

Just to confirm my understanding with you.

1.  SCVMM HA can only be implemented through WFC.

2.  We need to create a container in Active Directory for SCVMM HA.

3.  As with other services, SCVMM would also require service accounts.

Please, correct if I have understood it wrong.

I am confused on the cluster part of it.  I have a Hyper-V Failover Cluster based on Window Server 2012 R2 and upon it, I have a Guest Cluster of SQL Server 2012 SP1 that will host the Database for SCVMM.  Now, as WFC is required  to create a VMM Cluster, would I be needing a shared disk among the two node of the SCVMM Cluster?  My SCVMM solution is also a Guest Cluster.  So, can the enable hard disk sharing option be used to create a WFC required for SCVMM?  If so, how?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:45 PM

All replies

• easy.  create 2 node  cluster-nested virtual or physical, no matter.  if virtual, set affinity (rather lack of to keep them on separate nodes-also build  a sql cluster as well and also keep them on separate nodes)follow the articles.  I found no less than 10 step by steps when searching for when I built the HA SCVMM / SQL environment for my company.

MS article and third party, as you can see they are pretty straight forward to follow.  Best of luck.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610678.aspx

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2013/08/how-to-install-a-highly-available-scvmm-management-server/

Brian

• Edited by bdavid01 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:32 PM missed key words
    • Proposed as answer by bdavid01 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by TechNet Junkie Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Thank for the reply.

Just to confirm my understanding with you.

1.  SCVMM HA can only be implemented through WFC.

2.  We need to create a container in Active Directory for SCVMM HA.

3.  As with other services, SCVMM would also require service accounts.

Please, correct if I have understood it wrong.

I am confused on the cluster part of it.  I have a Hyper-V Failover Cluster based on Window Server 2012 R2 and upon it, I have a Guest Cluster of SQL Server 2012 SP1 that will host the Database for SCVMM.  Now, as WFC is required  to create a VMM Cluster, would I be needing a shared disk among the two node of the SCVMM Cluster?  My SCVMM solution is also a Guest Cluster.  So, can the enable hard disk sharing option be used to create a WFC required for SCVMM?  If so, how?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Thanks.
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:11 PM