none
"Push notification registration failed" when adding Microsoft account RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am switching phones. I have had multi-factor authentication working with my Microsoft account on the old phone for months. I need to move my authentication to the new phone (Android 6).

    So I go to the page https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx, I check the box for "Authenticator app" and click the "Configure" button. It displays a QR code. I scan it on the new phone with the Microsoft Authenticator App. I get a dialog that says:

    Push notification registration failed
    We couldn't register for push notifications.

    If I click "Retry", it shows the same code and URL as I see on the web page, with a "Finish" button. Clicking on that gets me the same error dialog.

    How can I resolve this so I can use the "Notify me through app" feature on my new phone (which is how I had it working on the old phone)?

    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:06 PM

Answers

  • I tried it (https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx) again today. For reasons I cannot explain, the phone app it worked as expected without any problem at all.
    • Marked as answer by Mark Freeman Monday, January 8, 2018 7:08 PM
    • Edited by Mark Freeman Monday, January 8, 2018 7:09 PM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 7:08 PM

All replies

  • Hi

    For a personal Microsoft account (one that you use to sign in to Outlook.com, Xbox, Skype, etc.), all you have to do is sign in to your account in the Microsoft Authenticator app.

    You don't need scan QR code. Please refer to this link.

    Regards,

    Walter


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Walter, This is for a corporate account with mandatory multi-factor authentication, not a personal one.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:28 PM
  • Hi

    What is the version of the App? If possible, I suggest you could install latest version app and try again.

    Regards,

    Walter


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Walter, I just acquired the phone and installed the latest version of the app from Google Play on it. I also rebooted it.
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Hi

    To troubleshoot this issue more efficiently, cloud you please send logs through the settings page? The newest version has send logs option.

    After we send the log, we will get an event ID, please remember it and post it here.

    Regards,

    Walter


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, January 5, 2018 5:50 AM
  • Walter, the Incident ID is JCWA9D32.
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 2:51 AM
  • I tried it (https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx) again today. For reasons I cannot explain, the phone app it worked as expected without any problem at all.
    • Marked as answer by Mark Freeman Monday, January 8, 2018 7:08 PM
    • Edited by Mark Freeman Monday, January 8, 2018 7:09 PM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 7:08 PM
  • Now I've having an issue with a different account. Incident ID NT9VN5TC.

    I added this account to the Authenticator app and it validated without a problem. But when I attempted to use it, the app didn't prompt me. So I deleted the account from the app and attempted to re-add it, but the add didn't work.

    Monday, January 8, 2018 8:27 PM
  • From my Ops guy: "We run our own MFA servers - they are VMs in the <redacted> subscription... there is a reason, that is escaping me, why we dont/cant use the MS provided MFA for <redacted>". He gave me a domain specific URL to use (httpd://mfa.<redacted domain>/userportal/), and that worked.

    It did verify using the https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx link once, but then MFA for that account wouldn't work, and the app wouldn't let me add the account again after deleting it. And of course, there was no useful error message provided. Adding it using the domain-specific URL did resolve the problem.

    Monday, January 8, 2018 9:03 PM