none
Delay in sending internal Email RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Some users are getting emails delayed up to 30 minutes. When i use the message tracking tool, i see that the email was transferred to my DR exchange mailbox.

Delivery Report for  Richard 

Pending
    12/12/2016 2:05 PM Mailbox1
    The message has been transferred from Mailbox1 to Mailbox DR

The mailbox DR server is on our DR site.

WHy is this email transfer taking place when there are no mailboxes on the DR mailbox server? Could this be the cause of email delays?

Monday, December 12, 2016 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Berketjun,

I also recommend you check the message tracking log, it records all message activity as messages are transferred to and from the Transport service on Mailbox servers, mailboxes on Mailbox servers, and Edge Transport servers. The date-time field in the message tracking log will give us some clues about the message where is delayed.

Moreover, as you mentioned, there are only some users encounter delayed issue, not all, right? You can compare the problematic user mailbox with the normal mailbox, and check if there is any different setting, that would give us some clues to troubleshoot the issue also:

Get-mailbox UserName |fl 

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:17 AM

All replies

• DR Exchange mailbox or DR Exchange server?

It's hard to answer your question without a lot more information.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hi Berketjun,

I also recommend you check the message tracking log, it records all message activity as messages are transferred to and from the Transport service on Mailbox servers, mailboxes on Mailbox servers, and Edge Transport servers. The date-time field in the message tracking log will give us some clues about the message where is delayed.

Moreover, as you mentioned, there are only some users encounter delayed issue, not all, right? You can compare the problematic user mailbox with the normal mailbox, and check if there is any different setting, that would give us some clues to troubleshoot the issue also:

Get-mailbox UserName |fl 

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Can you run get-message and get-queue to check if your mail server has performance issue.

Can you also describe your exchange environment better?

Seems like you have DAG setup, then it will shadow message to secondary mailbox.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:51 AM
  • no such thing as a DR hub transport server
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:05 PM
  • One more thing, if your AD sites aren't properly mapped to subnets, the DR server might look to Exchange as if it's in the same site so it would be used just as any other server for mail routing.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi

The server is a DR Exchange Mailbox server and has 0 databases on it

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:00 PM
  • That's actually not terribly relevant.  My posts provide valuable guidance but I can't help unless you respond to what I've actually asked and told you.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:16 PM
  • Hi Berketjun,

Have you tried the suggestions I mentioned above? How about the result ?

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:52 AM