none
Error Opening InfoPath forms

Question

• Client: Windows 10 with Office 2013/InfoPath 2013, using IE 11 to browse SharePoint

SharePoint 2016 server on premise

Issue:  When you try to open any InfoPath form stored on SharePoint you receive the following message 

"Microsoft Office Error:  This action couldn't be performed because office doesn't recognize the command it was given."

I believe it has something to do with the Microsoft Office Protocol Handler.  SharePoint is telling it to open it as view only and the handler doesn't seem to like that. If you right click on the form and click Open in InfoPath it opens right up and works appropriately. 

This is only an issue on Windows 10 as we have users on Windows 7 who never have this issue. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:07 PM

All replies

• Here you go

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c66878bd-8495-4e31-abf8-2e0841ae0dd1/office-doesnt-recognize-the-command-it-was-given?forum=SP2016

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:07 PM
  • Hi JSchmidt31,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:46 AM
  • That is not a solution.  That post says to reinstall InfoPath 2013 which does not fix the issue.  It also says to change the document mode to IE 9 which doesn't work if you switch it to IE 11 document mode it works every other time.  That post was never resolved. I know it is an issue with the Name linked with edit menu as I said you can right click and it opens fine.  I'm looking for an actual fix not a workaround.
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:16 PM
  • Hi JSchmidt31,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2016 with December 2017 CU, I encountered the same issue as yours. If I click “open in Microsoft InfoPath”, it can work.

Did the issue work in IE9 and not work in IE11?

If so, you could set the IE version in master page in SharePoint, then you could open the SharePoint in IE9 by default. Add the code below in master page.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" />

I know these are workarounds as fast solutions. If you want the issue to be fixed, we will wait for the CU for SharePoint 2016.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:48 AM
  • The issue did not work in IE9 mode. It kind of works in IE11 mode I still get the error message but it does open the form.  For right now I can wait for the next CU to see what if anything changes.  
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:58 PM
  • Sara I ran the updates over the weekend and there has been no change.  I see that Microsoft had this issue in SharePoint 2013 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2849962/description-of-the-sharepoint-server-2013-client-components-sdk-hotfix I'm wondering if they can release a hotfix like they did then to fix this issue.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Hi JSchmidt31,

We do not know when they will release a hotfix to fix the issue.

I recommend you submit a support ticket about the issue if you want the real fix of the issue.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:17 AM