none
Consolidated projects - schedule conflict between unrelated projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a consolidated project with a varying number of projects in it (ie. 10-20 at any one time).  I can import sub-projects into the consolidated file fine, but when I go to open the sub-projects within the master I get a message that tells me there is a scheduling conflict within a different project.  I get the typical choice of cancelling to avoid the problem, or continue to allow.

For either option I choose the start dates of this project (and other projects) change to the start date of the master project. 

Is there something I need to do in order to ensure these dates don't change?

Thanks,
    Dave

Friday, March 4, 2016 4:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks John,

Yes all of the projects are starting at a different date and there is no one particular project causing the problem as I have done what you suggested to try and weed out the problem child :)  

I have been playing around with this and it seems if I toggle the 'automatic' schedule to manual (ie. I think constraining as well) for the first task then the issue appears to have stopped.  However I like your suggestion of putting an actual constraint on the task.  Is there a significant difference between the two methods?

Thanks for the suggestion as well for making this a static master as I really do not need it to be dynamic.

Cheers,

Dave 

• Marked as answer by CE2JD2 Monday, March 7, 2016 3:15 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 7:00 PM

All replies

• Dave,

A dynamic master is a separate entity from its subprojects such that the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather, the master contains pointers to each subproject. That being the case, when you insert a subproject into the master, any tasks that have no predecessors and are not constrained will automatically "slide" over to the start date of the master. One way to control this is to set the master start date to be the same as that of the inserted subprojects. If the start date of each subproject is different and you do not want it to take on the start date of the master, then you will need to set a constraint (start-no-earlier-than) on the earliest task of each subproject.

As far as the message telling you about a scheduling conflict, is there any more information as to which project or task is causing the problem? If not, you may need to insert one subproject at a time until the message appears. Then trace through the network logic to see what is causing the problem.

One more thing, dynamic masters are prone to corruption. Unless you have a real need to have a dynamic master, I suggest you create a static master (i.e. uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window). That will effectively copy the tasks from each subproject into a single file and create a snapshot in time of all subprojects. It will not be dynamic, but it will also not be prone to corruption.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, March 4, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Thanks John,

Yes all of the projects are starting at a different date and there is no one particular project causing the problem as I have done what you suggested to try and weed out the problem child :)  

I have been playing around with this and it seems if I toggle the 'automatic' schedule to manual (ie. I think constraining as well) for the first task then the issue appears to have stopped.  However I like your suggestion of putting an actual constraint on the task.  Is there a significant difference between the two methods?

Thanks for the suggestion as well for making this a static master as I really do not need it to be dynamic.

Cheers,

Dave 

• Marked as answer by CE2JD2 Monday, March 7, 2016 3:15 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 7:00 PM
  • Dave,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

I normally don't like constraints but in this case I believe it is a more straightforward way of "locking in" the start dates on the earliest task of each subproject when inserted into a master, either dynamic or static.

John

Friday, March 4, 2016 7:26 PM
  • I get around this by having a Start work milestone with a date constraint or an actual start date (same effect). I then link Start work to the first tasks.

That then stops sub-projects moving.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, March 4, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Thanks guys, I will add the constraint and see how it goes.  For now I am going to keep the link though, fingers crossed this will not cause any significant issues.

Cheers,

Dave

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Dave,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback although I'm not sure your response is what answered your question.

With regard to keeping the link (I assume you mean dynamic master), I believe you are taking an unnecessary risk but here are the basic ground rules when working with linked structures in Project. Never move, rename, overwrite, or save off any files to another location in a linked structure. Also, all files should reside in a single folder on a local hard drive. Do not operate a linked structure over a network. Adhere to this discipline and you should be okay.

John

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:26 PM