none
Restore from Tape in DPM 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We have backups normally to disk, and retores work fine from there.  I have that same data backed up to a tape once a week to be sent offsite.  I need to restore data that is on the tape, but it is not showing up as a restore point in DPM.  I know when I inventory the tape and view the contents, the item I need to restore is on it, but I can't figure out how to get it to show up as a restore point.  Curretnly, the tape is marked for offsite ready, and according to the contents on the tape, it has expired yesterday.  Is there anyway to restore from that tape? 

Randy Oster

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To restore from expired tapes, right-click a tape and chose “mark tape as free”, then Right-click a tape and chose “unmark tape as free”.  At this time the tape will show (imported) label_name.   Now Right-click the tape and chose “recatalog imported tape”.   The data can now be restored from under the recovery tap under “External DPM tapes” tree.

The only restriction is it cannot be restored to original location and if application data (SQL, Exchange, etc) cannot be restored natively only restored as flat files to any server that has a protection agent installed.  The options to restore will only be to a volume or share on any server that has an agent installed for this DPM server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:22 AM