unable to extend volume using free volume RRS feed

• Question

• mt system has 10GB of free space in it .... when i am trying to extend this free space  in eme nd voludisk management only help and new simple volume option is coming....when i am choosing  the new volume option  and complete the whole procedure than it showing a message that  not enough  space is available on the  one  disk ....... also one more thing a green strip covering this free space and disk c is coming ...so help me guys how to solve this problem

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just would like to confirm if you got OEM computer. And what tool did you use to extend the free space? The disk management in Windows 7 or other tools?

Please know that most new computers with OEM Windows pre-installs come with 4 partitions. Hard disks configured as basic disks are limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition and multiple logical drives. And as such, if you try to shrink the OS partition, you may find that you cannot create a 5th partition due to this limit.

There could be two possible solutions for this issue:
    1.As the disk pre-configured by OEM may have conflicts with disk management tool in Windows, you should try some 3rd party tool to repartition the disk.
    2.You may try to delete a less important partition created already and merge the space together to create a new partition with proper drive letter.

Deleting the partitions created by the OEM is often not possible due to the way the OEMs configure the partitions. Therefore the option then is to extend the operating system partition back to the original size to regain use of the unallocated space. If additional storage is needed, consider adding an external USB hard disk.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, October 17, 2014 7:57 AM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:15 AM