none
WinPE 4.0 problems, PXE vs Boot from media trouble. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have met with a few problemes with 2 models in my deployment. A HP Z620 and a Dell Alienware Aurora R4. Boot from PXE, WinPE fails to start, I just get the old win8 logo and the spinning globes. If I boot the same WinPE, but from a USB drive, no problems. CPU's in these machine all works with WinPE 4.0 since I am aware some models might require bios updates to work well with 4.0

I have poked around with the things I can think of, rebuilding the WinPE, tweaking the drivers I put into it etc. but I find nothing out of the ordinary. Same WinPE works with over 50 models, except these to.

Anyone has any ideas or have found the reason for this behaviour?

//Lars

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:22 PM

All replies

• I think I found a solution. I rebuilt my WinPE 4.0 boot image this morning, and added Win8 Intel RST drivers for the Alienware Aurora machine. (this was the only new addition I did. besides cleaning up some x86 drivers that had managed to sneak in).

Behold, PXE boot no longer got stuck on either troublesome model. Only conclusion (well stab in the dark) is that PXE might use a pre-execution hook that differs in method from booting from usb/dvd. Other then that some faulty/missing storage driver just got stuck in a loop when winpe started finishing booting up over PXE.

Either way, I am more happy today then yesterday :)

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:28 AM