Problem: IE7 deletes automatically cookies - How can this be disabled? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have with certain clients running Windows XP - SP3 a problem with Internet Explorer 7. Somehow on some clients cookies are automatically deleted. This happens not regulary. On same clients every 60 minutes the cookies are deleted, on some clients 3-4 times a day. We want to disable that behaviour, as everytime when the cookies are deleted the users have to logon again on a certain website.

We don't have any cleanup tools running in the background. Also the problem orrcurs when the Internet Explorer 7 keeps open the day, so it can not be the function of automatically delete temporary internet files. Furthermore this function we have disabled in Internet Options- Advanced.

As a side note, only cookies are deleted. Other temporary internet files stay on the particular clients.

Now Im clueless, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• A colleague of me has told me, as far as he could remember, there was a special registry tweak which leads to this behaviour. But he can't remember where he had read this or what the registry hack was.

Do you have any clues?

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

It should be an issue with setting temporary internet files.
    "Internet Options" -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings
    Try to make changes.
    Let me know.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hello,

I can make changes and also tried different settings. But right now I have no clue how to solve this issue. To give you an figure, until now 6 people in company have this issue, other 76 people can work hassle free.

The cookies are deleted irregular. One particular user had the problem 3 times a day. The next day it happens only once a day.

Best regards

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:52 AM
  • One solution would be to increase the disk space usage, that I decide based on what is set and increase it at least twice to see how the situation improves.
    A second solution would be to set "never" on the radio button when you want and delete temporary files from Internet Options, or from "Disk Cleanup" of Windows.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion. I will try this settings and give feedback.

About DiskCleanup I can say that I have also checked this. I found no scheduled task for it.

Also it is very strange, that only cookies are deleted and no other temporary internet files.

Best regards

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:09 PM