OWA 2000 URLs do not match username RRS feed

• Question

• Running exchange 2000 on server 2000 with outlook web access. My boss noticed today that the urls do not match your username when you are logged in. for example say my username was jimsmith but when i hover over links in OWA the url down in the bottom of IE shows as www.x.com/exchange/billybob for example.

here is a pic to see... http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5672/owaissue.png

Can anyone explain why it's doing this. My boss is all freaked out becuase his shows as the username of an employee fired over a year ago. that persons account has long since been deleted.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:34 PM

Answers

• I managed to figure it out I think. It looks like it grabs the mailbox name (basically anything before the @ sign) in the most recent created smtp email address added to your account.

The person fired was important so the boss had another admin add a smtp address to his account matching that fired persons email address so any business contacts would go to him.  I didn't notice this until i did an ldap dump and saw all the smtp address associated with the boss. This seems to be where it's pulling the url usernames from.

seems like an odd "feature" to pull that for the url instead of just using the persons username...

oh well! seems to be fixed now.

thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Mike Shen Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please check the Alias of the logged in user and let us know if this the same as shown in URL?

Thanks

Vishal Ramnani | MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE Messaging | MCTS - Win 2008 Config
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I checked and all users have aliases that match their actual usernames.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:59 PM
  • The best thing would be to take LDP dump of this particular user and then compare with the good working mailbox

Alternative Methods to Obtain a Dump of an Object

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271201
    Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    • Proposed as answer by VSP-- Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I managed to figure it out I think. It looks like it grabs the mailbox name (basically anything before the @ sign) in the most recent created smtp email address added to your account.

The person fired was important so the boss had another admin add a smtp address to his account matching that fired persons email address so any business contacts would go to him.  I didn't notice this until i did an ldap dump and saw all the smtp address associated with the boss. This seems to be where it's pulling the url usernames from.

seems like an odd "feature" to pull that for the url instead of just using the persons username...

oh well! seems to be fixed now.

thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Mike Shen Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:12 PM