none
nslookup unknown RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am working for Microsoft Partner on a project for Active Directory implementation in DR site. customer noticed that when run NSLOOKUP in AD in DR site, default server = unknown.

I searched for fix the issue and i found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4EkW1kcC0A . i followed steps by creating reverse lookup zone and adding PTR and i found that NSLOOKUP able to get default server in DR site.

I need to know:

- is this fix valid and recommended by Micorosoft?

- is there any impact on the AD DNS services after creating the reverse lookup zone in DR site?

- is there any additional steps i can do to verify DNS in good health between the main site and DR site?

Regards,

Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

>> is this fix valid and recommended by Micorosoft?

>> is there any impact on the AD DNS services after creating the reverse lookup zone in DR site?

We need to create the appropriate reverse lookup zone to allow your server to reverse-resolve its own IP address back to its name.

If a PTR exists, it will tell you what the server name is, and if one doesn't, it simply says "Unknown."

This is a normal behavior and PTR records will not have any impact on your environment.

>>is there any additional steps i can do to verify DNS in good health between the main site and DR site?

The DCDiag utility can be used to diagnose the health of DNS server.

Please run the following commands:

dcdiag /test:dns

For more details about the command, you could refer to the following link:

Dcdiag for DNS: Test details explained

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:48 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>> is this fix valid and recommended by Micorosoft?

>> is there any impact on the AD DNS services after creating the reverse lookup zone in DR site?

We need to create the appropriate reverse lookup zone to allow your server to reverse-resolve its own IP address back to its name.

If a PTR exists, it will tell you what the server name is, and if one doesn't, it simply says "Unknown."

This is a normal behavior and PTR records will not have any impact on your environment.

>>is there any additional steps i can do to verify DNS in good health between the main site and DR site?

The DCDiag utility can be used to diagnose the health of DNS server.

Please run the following commands:

dcdiag /test:dns

For more details about the command, you could refer to the following link:

Dcdiag for DNS: Test details explained

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:48 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:23 AM
  • I have applied the steps for reverse lookup zone and i was successfully able to retrive default server in NSlookup.

I will update you if i have more concerns.

Many thanks Candy for your support.

Regards,

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Hi ,

Highly appreciate your effort and time. 

As a support engineer, I will try my best to assist you. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:28 AM