none
DNS inconsistency issue RRS feed

• Question

• We need your team expertise for the traceroute below to analyze the traffic.

Current Setup in Windows Server:

SQL DNS Listener Name               Virtual IP                              Remarks
    myserver.global.mycompany.loc            10.1.1.1                  Primary IP (Active)
    myserver.global.mycompany.loc            10.1.2.1                  Secondary IP (Passive)

Situation:
    Client Host: any client / server from Linux is pinging and/or traceroute to “myserver.global.mycompany.loc”

Problem:
    The flow of the packet is not consistent. The 1st traceroute result will go to 10.1.1.1 IP while the 2nd time they issue the traceroute it goes to 10.1.2.1 which is the inactive/not used IP.

The Ideal:
    The ideal is, whenever the client (Linux/Unix) box send a ping or traceroute, it should resolved or go to 10.1.1.1 because it’s the Active IP not to the Passive IP. When failover occurs, vip will change also. 

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    mycompany.mycompany.com
    Addresses:  152.72.251.129

C:\Users\F090877>nslookup mycompany.mycompany.com
    Server:  dnsserver.mycompany.com
    Address:  152.72.250.177

Addresses:  152.72.170.135

C:\Users\F090877>nslookup mycompany.mycompany.com

Addresses:  152.72.251.129

C:\Users\F090877>nslookup myserver.global.mycompany.loc

Name:    mycompany.global.mycompany.loc
    Address:  152.72.251.129

I wonder this has something wrong with DNS
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Can we disable the round robin for single DNS entry ?

I'm afraid not. It's a function for zone level.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ranabrij Monday, October 30, 2017 11:28 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since we are not familiar with Linux OS, you could also consult Linux experts for better answer.

In Windows clients, you could set a Preferred DNS Server and an Alternate DNS Server for failover. 

Please check your zone property in your DNS server if it is enable round robin.

More information about Round Robin,  please refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959928.aspx

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 27, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Thanks,

I want to this to happen for a single hostname entry which have two A-records associated. I want it to reflect one IP address as primary and second one as secondary always.

Friday, October 27, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi Team,

DNS server is microsoft. clinet from from tracert are linux machine which I think does not matter

Friday, October 27, 2017 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

As I understand ,you want to reflect one IP address as primary and second one as secondary always.

For instance:

We create 2 DNS A records for one host in our DNS server:

We also unselected this option: “enable round robin”, when using nslookup test the results will always return 1.1.1.1 as primary record not 2.2.2.2.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, October 30, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Thanks a ton. Can we disable the round robin for single DNS entry ?
    Monday, October 30, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

>>Can we disable the round robin for single DNS entry ?

I'm afraid not. It's a function for zone level.

Best Regards,
    Frank

• Marked as answer by ranabrij Monday, October 30, 2017 11:28 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 9:59 AM