none
Creating and HTML report of Exchange Transport Rules for Disclaimer notices RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on creating and HTLM report for Disclaimer transport Rules for Exchange 2013.  Using the following code to do it.

$a = "<style>"
    $a = $a + "BODY{font-family: Arial; font-Size: 10pt;}"
    $a = $a + "TABLE{border-width: 1px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;border-collapse: collapse;}"
    $a = $a + "TH{border-width: 1px;padding: 0px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;background-color:thistle}"
    $a = $a + "TD{border-width: 1px;padding: 0px;border-style: solid;border-color: black}"
    $a = $a + "</style>"

Get-TransportRule | Select Identity, @{L="Conditions";E={$_.Conditions}, @{L="Actions";E=$_.Actions}, FromScope, {$_.SenderADAttributeContainsWords}, ApplyHtmlDisclaimerLocation, ApplyHtmlDisclaimerText | ConvertTO-HTML -Head $a -body "<H2>Transport Rules</H2>"  > TransportRules.html

The problem areas I am having though is the Conditions and Actions.  They show up like this.

Conditions

Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.FromScopePredicate Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.SenderAttributeContainsPredicate 

Actions

Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.ApplyHtmlDisclaimerAction

I am trying to figure out what to put in the expression to only get the pieces after the Tasks part. 

Jeff C

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:02 PM

Answers

• Thats because those properties are not flat.  What do you want to display?

You can use something like this to look at your options:

New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.FromScopePredicate | select *

You'll need to call out the sub-property specifically.  For example, if you just wanted the name of the predicate, you'd use something like this:

Get-TransportRule Rule1 | select identity, @{L="MyConditionName"; E={$_.Conditions.name}}

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by JeffC72 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:54 PM

All replies

• Thats because those properties are not flat.  What do you want to display?

You can use something like this to look at your options:

New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.Tasks.FromScopePredicate | select *

You'll need to call out the sub-property specifically.  For example, if you just wanted the name of the predicate, you'd use something like this:

Get-TransportRule Rule1 | select identity, @{L="MyConditionName"; E={$_.Conditions.name}}

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by JeffC72 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:54 PM
  • As an aside - here is an easier way to cast HTML into text:

$style=@'
        <style>
             body{
                font-family: Arial; 
                font-Size: 10pt;
            }

table{
                border-width: 1px;
                border-style: solid;
                border-color: black;
                border-collapse: collapse;
            }

th{
                padding: 0px;
                border-color: black;
                background-color:thistle
            }

td{
                padding: 0px;
                border-color: black
            }
        </style>
    @'
    $a=$style | Out-String
    I tend to place large blocks of text in a file and load into the variable as it keeps the actually code cleaner and more flexible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Now take a look at your statement that uses calculated properties:

Get-TransportRule | 
         Select Identity, 
                @{L="Conditions";E={$_.Conditions}, 
                @{L="Actions";E=$_.Actions}, 
                FromScope, 
                {$_.SenderADAttributeContainsWords}, 
                ApplyHtmlDisclaimerLocation, 
                ApplyHtmlDisclaimerText | 
          ConvertTO-HTML -Head $a -body '<H2>Transport Rules</H2>'  > TransportRules.html

It is magnificently broken in almost every column.

A computer column is this format:

@{ Name='SomeName'; Expression={<expression>} }

Expression is a code block "{}" and the whole object is a hash @{} which encloses to name/value pairs.

Due to coerced matching we can shorten to this:

@{N='SomeName';E={<expression>}}

Expression is used to calculate or extract simple values.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Start with this and fix it by deciding how you want to parse "Conditions" which is a compound object.

Get-TransportRule | 
         Select Identity, 
                @{N='Conditions';E={$_.Conditions}}, 
                @{N='Actions';E={$_.Actions[0].Text.Value}}, 
                FromScope,
                SenderADAttributeContainsWords, 
                ApplyHtmlDisclaimerLocation, 
                ApplyHtmlDisclaimerText

Forget about HTML and output until you have figured out how to access the data.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:55 PM
  • "Forget about HTML and output until you have figured out how to access the data."

I here you on this.. But just a side note.. The data shows up until you pipe it to ConvertTo-Html. Commonly see this with exchange parts and how you get it out is not always the same.  For Example in another instance I had to use a join expression.   

Jeff C

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Mike

Thanks for pointing out the New-Object trick.  That helped a lot in finding the proper lines I needed.

Jeff C

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:47 PM
  • "Forget about HTML and output until you have figured out how to access the data."

I here you on thirs.. But just a side note.. The data shows up until you pipe it to ConvertTo-Html. Commonly see this with exchange parts and how you get it out is not always the same.  For Example in another instance I had to use a join expression.   

Jeff C

You have to expand and select the individual properties and concatenate arrays.  I didn't rewrite the whole thing.  I just showed you where yu missed the boat and made some obvious syntax errors.  I feel it is best if you figure most of it out for yourself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:02 PM