Desktop, right-click, NEW - list is not sorted RRS feed

• Question

• When you do a right-click on the desktop, and select NEW, the list that follows is not in any sort order.

Doc

ps:  W7 Ultimate x86 7600

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 7, 2009 4:24 PM Not a comment
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 7, 2009 4:24 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:26 PM

All replies

• It has an order and I'm not sure what the criteria for it is most used I'd assume, but it's always the same with briefcase and zip folder at the bottom, shortcut and folder up top. Between these two groups are new files which seem to be alphabetical and if the new item is "Windows Bitmap image" it would be listed alphabetically under B for bitmap. Text document below at T.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:40 PM
  • It has an order and I'm not sure what the criteria for it is most used I'd assume, but it's always the same with briefcase and zip folder at the bottom, shortcut and folder up top. Between these two groups are new files which seem to be alphabetical and if the new item is "Windows Bitmap image" it would be listed alphabetically under B for bitmap. Text document below at T.

Nope, no order.  I have tried creating a new text document multiple times, and the entry stays in the same place.

And, the MicroSoft Office entries are out of order, with Excel near the bottom, and Word near the top.

Doc
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:00 PM
  • New files between briefcase and zipfolder, shortcut and folder are listed in alphabetical order not including the word "windows" before the name of the new file listing. Look very closely and you will see.

To remove your briefcase paste this into a text file and name it "deletebriefcase.reg" without your quotes.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase]

To restore the briefcase paste this text into a text file and name it "restbriefcase.reg"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase]
    @="Briefcase"
    "FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
      00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
      32,00,5c,00,53,00,48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
      00,2c,00,2d,00,32,00,32,00,39,00,37,00,38,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\CLSID]
    @="{85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\DefaultIcon]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
      00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,\
      6e,00,63,00,75,00,69,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,30,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\shell\open\command]
    @="explorer.exe %1"

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986. 

• Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, September 4, 2009 9:50 PM Required Regedit Warning
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Then, why does Word preceed Excel?

Actually, the order of Microsoft Office products is:

Access
    Word
    Project
    PowerPoint
    Publisher
    Visio
    Excel

along with other "out of order" items inbetween.

Doc
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:21 PM

• Thanks.

Frankly Dr. Stranglove, I don't know.

Your very welcome deros.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Thus, the title of this thread...

Doc
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:25 PM
  • It looked to be alphbetical to me but I don't have office installed so for you it's not the same schlock. I added some new file options to the list - new command script .cmd file windows batch file .bat hence under "B" as in boy, autoit script file of course is right up top for"A", etc. Since the office files are not in any paticular order this could be a major bug and should be reported to the proper autorities.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Also noticed that if you right click on one of the selections in the New list, it acts just like you clicked the left mouse button.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Also noticed that if you right click on one of the selections in the New list, it acts just like you clicked the left mouse button.

Now I have to decide wether to use the left or right button to create a new file.
    Duck.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:14 PM
    Hi

This is true for just about any right click context menu.

If you right click to display a menu, the only possible action will be to initialize an item on that menu.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, September 4, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Then, why does Word preceed Excel?

Actually, the order of Microsoft Office products is:

Access
    Word
    Project
    PowerPoint
    Publisher
    Visio
    Excel

along with other "out of order" items inbetween.

Doc

My order is:

Access
    Bitmap
    Contact
    Word Doc.
    PowerPoint
    Publisher
    Text Doc.
    Excel
    Compresed (Zipped) Folder
    Briefcase

Just for giggles, I opend a command prompt and entered "reg QUERY HKCR /s /f ShellNew /k".  This resulted in a long list with over a hundred lines.  But within the list, I noticed the order of the following lines:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.adp\Access.Project.12\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.contact\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\Word.Document.8\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ppt\PowerPoint.Show.8\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pub\Publisher.Document.12\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls\Excel.Sheet.8\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\CompressedFolder\ShellNew
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase\ShellNew

I think that where there are multiple entries that open with the same application the first one wins, as far as determining the pecking order.

Note, the .zip entry was created by 7zip.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:26 AM

• I'm convinced.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Excelent find Brian. There is a rhyme and a reason.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Ordering by extension?  Ok, I too am convinced.

But, the list is by application name, not filename or file extension.  A simple sort would make it look a lot better on the outside.

Doc
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:00 PM
  • I agree. It should not be ordered by extension at all. It should be ordered by application name.

You - Dr. Strangelove ...
    Me - X-Men ...
    Payload Extreme?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:52 PM
  • As I grow older it seems I am having a harder and harder time seeing something that's buried in a list.  I imagine it's a part of my brain that's always been a bit weak and is now growing weaker. 

In short, an arbitrary text item in a list is hidden in plain sight from me.

Positional - or at the very least alphabetic - organization is therefore HIGHLY important to me.

With the Classic start menu in older versions of the OS, for example, one could learn to expect where things would be positionally, and of course one could always right-click and choose "Sort by Name" to get them in order for an easier visual scan.

Now we don't even have the ability to right click and choose "Sort by Name".

The fact that these kinds of features are being overlooked (or overtly eliminated) in new versions of Windows is a shame.  It shows that young people without much experience are making UI design decisions.

-Noel

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Are the send to items aranged in the same manner in XP? I was thinking in this case programing the send to list to arrange with a friendly alphabetical order would be more complicated than displaying a mirror image order of the file extensions from the registry, and it is possible that adding an extra sorting process would delay the list from appearing on the desktop. I am not defending the way the list is sorted but just guessing why it would be as such.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Yes, SendTo is sorted.  I have added several items to SendTo, and they show up where they are supposed to be.  Then, they are followed by drives/devices.

Doc
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:10 PM
  • You know sometimes these thing are harder to solve than meets the eye. Even with a Cray it's possible that sorting by friendly name would not be viable.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Yes, SendTo is sorted.  I have added several items to SendTo, and they show up where they are supposed to be.  Then, they are followed by drives/devices.

Doc
     Your telling me it's sorted alphabetically by friendly name in xp? Then everyone please forget everything I just said in defense of the programers.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:18 PM
  • LOL, derosnec.

I have to agree that sorting a list of menu items by displayed name (instead of sorting by extension) is simply not tough by any stretch of the imagination.

However, implied in your comment, Horshack, is that Windows programming really CAN be tough stuff, though, and with that I have to agree.  But that's why Microsoft gets the big bucks!  They even have a few people on staff who know how.  So perhaps it would be best not to dilute the message we'd like them to hear...

-Noel

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:23 PM
  • You know sometimes these thing are harder to solve than meets the eye. Even with a Cray it's possible that sorting by friendly name would not be viable.

Ah, that sends me back.  I remember using a impact printer terminal on a 300 baud modem.  I was programming number crunching on a Cray 1 and then a Cray 2.

But more about ShellNew.  I tried adding my own as a test.  I added a ShellNew to .bat, like the following:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat\ShellNew]
    "ItemName" = REG_EXPAND_SZ    "@%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE"
    "NullFile"      = REG_SZ  ""   (empty)

The NullFile value acts as a flag directing Windows to create an empty file.  Without it, it would just open the application in ItemName.  Note, Wordpad has been my favorite text editor since Windows 95 came out, but I am not really liking it as much in Windows 7.

Anyway, sure enough after about a minute, there it was in the New list.  I tried it and Windows generated a "New Windows Batch File.bat", with the base file name ready for editing.

I then got the idea that if I put the ShellNew under batfile [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\ShellNew], it would change the order in the New list.  Sadly, it did not work.  All it did was to remove it from the list.

It appears we are stuck with the order of the extensions, with duplicates removed so that only the first appears in the list.
    • Edited by Brian Borg Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:47 PM typo
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:43 PM

Doc
     Your telling me it's sorted alphabetically by friendly name in xp? Then everyone please forget everything I just said in defense of the programers.

No, I am saying that SendTo is sorted alphabetically by friendly name in Windows 7 rtm.  It may also be sorted as such in XP and Vista, but I have not checked.

Doc
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Send to seems to be OK on my XP.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:19 PM
  • FYI, the SendTo menu in Vista seems to be sorted by name in two sections, programs and drives.

-Noel
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:27 PM
  • While I never loan tools or books, I am willing to make available my personal copy of Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume 3, "Sorting and Searching".

Doc
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:41 AM