Existing SCCM Client installed again after removing client or imaging RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question on two different scenarios for SCCM client deployment.  Client Push and AD System Group Discovery is enabled.

In both cases, I am trying to figure out if/how the SCCM client might get automatically re-installed.

Scenario 1: An existing SCCM client has its client removed. Will it get re-installed?

Scenario 2: An existing SCCM client gets re-imaged (no SCCM client on image) using the same name. Will the client be installed?

Thanks

Angelo

Angelo

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. No, not initially. The site has no way of knowing that agent was removed so would not know to try to push to the system. Enabling the Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data or the Clear Install Flag will let the site know however that the client agent no longer is reporting in and thus cause the client agent to be pushed -- both have different timeframes though and different criteria so you should familiarize yourself with each.

2. First, why aren't you using ConfigMgr to deploy the OS? Then the agent will be included automatically. Using any other solution is wasting time and money. To directly answer the question though is it depends upon whether you used the same AD object or not. If you used the same AD object, then it'll be the same as 1. If you used a new AD object, then it should get discovered as a new resource by system discovery.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. We do use ConfigMgr to deploy images so my main question really revolves around CM reinstalling the client on existing machines where it was then removed.

It looks like there is a way to do this by changing the items you mention in your response. I'm just not sure what it should be changed to in order to accomplish my goal.

This link shed some light on the issue but I'm still unsure on what specific changes to make.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e555d7e3-3681-440a-82d0-319d2b4bdd08#BKMK_PlanMaintenanceTasks

Here are our settings as of now:

Delete Aged Discovery Data - Enabled - 90 Days on Saturdays

Clear Install Flag - Disabled

Heartbeat Discovery - Enabled - 1 week

Assuming the settings above, what would happen if a client was removed today?  Would it ever get reinstalled? Let's say I wanted to have the client reinstalled in approx. 2 days of removal?

Thanks so much

Angelo

Assuming a client was removed today,

Angelo

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Yes, after 90-96 days (variation because the task only runs once a week).

For what you want to happen, two days is way too aggressive. How would ConfigMgr know the difference between a system for which the user is sick or on vacation or for a variety of other reasons where the client can't report in? Answer: It can't. All it knows is that a client didn't check in. Thus, you should pick a more reasonable time frame.

By default, the timeframe is 21 days. 15 days seems fairly reasonable usually though. As long as the timeframe is greater than your heartbeat discovery interval (from a technical perspective) and is also greater than a reasonable amount of time to account for vacations and the like as described above, then you'll be fine.

Part of the equation here also though is what are the scenarios you are trying to address? When are agents being uninstalled in your environment?

Finally, a client startup script will also directly address the problem since it can directly validate on the client system whether or not the agent is installed and install it if it's not.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:07 PM
  • I see what you're saying about the timeframe being too aggressive and ConfigMgr not being able to tell the that the client actually needs to be reinstalled with such a short timeframe.

The issue mainly comes from support staff who are local admins and may remove for testing or other reasons.

I agree that that a startup script would be a better solution. I have come up with a basic startup script via GPO and WMI filtering but my scripting knowledge is basic. The script just uses ccmsetup.exe, one with /nologon and the other without. The WMI Filter is used to see if the SCCM client is installed and whether the machine is a workstation or not. Do you have any recommendations for a startup script? 

Angelo

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:24 PM
  • So first, fire the next person who uninstalls the agent as that's simply unnecessary for troubleshooting -- I've also never heard of a conflict with the ConfigMgr agent. At the very least, they should reinstall the agent.

For the script: http://blog.configmgrftw.com/configmgr-client-startup-script/

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Rodger!

While other support techs have been removing SCCM client for testing purposes, I actually I am doing the testing that prompted this question, so I may be on thin ice myself :)

We only just enabled client push (not sure what took so long but I only recently started) and I was trying to make sure it was working. So I removed the client from my test machine to make sure it worked OK. Then that got me thinking "hmm I wonder if this will work without me deleting the computer from the console and running discovery" or maybe something needs to be changed, as you mentioned before.

In any event, thanks for the info. I will give the script a try.

Thanks again.

Angelo

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:09 PM