Sharepoint Online - Extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint Online setup:

1 site collection at https://company.sharepoint.com

13 sub-sites beneath that with 3 of them having 3-5 of their own sub-sites. Total amount of space being used is less than 100GB.  I used a third party migration tool to migrate all items from an on-prem SharePoint 2013 server.

The problem I am experiencing is that doing anything within the site takes a very long time.  Initially navigating to the main page, going to a sub-site, opening a document library or list, etc.  During normal business hours it is taking anywhere from 10-40 seconds to get to anything within the site.  It's better when I've checked later at night, but still not great.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Changed from structural navigation to managed metadata navigation - Little to no impact.
    2. Ruled out device and work network problems by connecting with a personal device on a different network - No difference.
    3. Created a new site collection at https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/test and added a couple of sub-sites and a few docs - Still slow to navigate.
    4. Used browser developer tools to further analyze problems.  Here is some sample data when loading the main site page at https://company.sharepoint.com/SitePages/Home.aspx sorting by Time.  This is similar when navigating to any other site page. (The 8.27 second load time below is really good compared to usual)

sprequestduration - 8039

spiislatency - 1

x-sharepointhealthscore - 1

Anyone have any other ideas that I can try?  I've searched quite a bit but I can't figure this one out.  I've thought that there is something in my site page code that's causing the slowness, but I'm not a webdev so I really don't know what I'm looking for. And I really don't want to delete my root site and start from scratch (especially not knowing if that would help me or not). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:00 PM

Answers

• Thought I would put an update here in case anyone is experiencing similar problems.  I opened a service request with Microsoft on this and the problem was resolved within a day.  No real explanation given.  My site has been running very well up until the beginning of August when the same symptoms appeared.  Opened a service request and within two days the problem was resolved.  They said the service degradation posted on Office 365 service health for SharePoint was the culprit, even though the details of that degradation had nothing to do with site slowness.  Anyway, open a service request with Microsoft and let them know it's negatively impacting your business and they seem to take care of the problem.
    • Marked as answer by HeyHey173 Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:01 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Above test could be useful to you if you are using the On-Premise SharePoint server but not for O365. You need to check all Office 365 Services and its health in your O365 admin portal.

There you can see the "Service Health" category, please check the SharePoint Online Service shows the healthy status. If shows any advisory , then you should follow the remedy given in the same page.

If it is Incident, then wait till you hear from Microsoft's solution to the critical service issue.

Murugesa Pandian MCSA,MCSE,MCPD

Gear up for some solid action by doing. Slide,theory and blog won't useful much. 
    After all world likes only doers not sayers/speakers .

• Proposed as answer by Carl__Zhou Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:39 PM
  • I've checked the Service health and it shows SharePoint Online as being healthy.  This problem has been ongoing for quite a few weeks now.  In the beginning I can't remember if this was a problem or not as I was solely focusing on getting data migrated.  Now that I've gotten the Online site set up fully this extreme slowness is the only stopping point for me in getting our users to begin working.  Thanks for your help.
    • Proposed as answer by Carl__Zhou Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

Here is my checklist to find the performance problem on your site collection

1. Please ensure there is no deleted sites/list/libraries on your recycle bin, There could be a chance storage capacity might have been reached the threshold. Scan the Storage metrics on your site collection (_layouts/15/storman.aspx?root=&OrderBy=0&Asc=0&Page=0)
    2. Ensure all the folders and file URLs are not exceeding the defined length.
    3. If you have Sandbox solutions on your old sites, then try to deactivate unnecessary features on the site collection.
    4. Verify the master page compatibility of your migrated sites.
    5. Finally run the site collection health check (/_layouts/15/sitehealthcheck.aspx)

Murugesa Pandian MCSA,MCSE,MCPD

Gear up for some solid action by doing. Slide,theory and blog won't useful much. 
    After all world likes only doers not sayers/speakers .

Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:54 AM
  • Results of your checklist.

1. Recycle bin is empty.  Storage metrics show we are using very little storage space.

2. I cannot see that this is a problem at all.

3. I went through the site collection features and turned off a few things related to search that I don't think we need.  Other than that, there is not a whole lot of features activated.

4. I'm not sure how to verify the master page compatibility of the migrated sites.

5. I ran the Site Collection health check and it showed quite a few customized files, most of them under /_catalogs/masterpage directory.  When I try to Reset page to default on any of them, it seems like it works and gives no errors, but when I run the health check again, the same pages show up under customized files.  Not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:07 PM
  • Thought I would put an update here in case anyone is experiencing similar problems.  I opened a service request with Microsoft on this and the problem was resolved within a day.  No real explanation given.  My site has been running very well up until the beginning of August when the same symptoms appeared.  Opened a service request and within two days the problem was resolved.  They said the service degradation posted on Office 365 service health for SharePoint was the culprit, even though the details of that degradation had nothing to do with site slowness.  Anyway, open a service request with Microsoft and let them know it's negatively impacting your business and they seem to take care of the problem.
    • Marked as answer by HeyHey173 Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:01 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:44 AM