Word opens documents with one column instead of two columns RRS feed

• Question

• I had a document with two columns, when I open it Word displays the document using one column layout.

I reformat the document to use two columns, and save it. I open the document and again is with one column!!!

I never had this issue, it started today. It makes me think this is related to the automatic updates installed this morning.

Why all of a sudden I can't open the document as it was saved?

I tested with several documents that I'm positive were saved using two columns, they are all opened like a normal one column document. 

I'm using Word 2016 MSO (16.0.9126.2116) 32-bit Version 1803. 

Friday, April 13, 2018 4:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have exactly the same Word as you.

And get noticed some strange thing, i.e. when [Line between] in [Columns] is checked, but Line can not be seen.
    When paper size (Layout > Size) is small, Line can be seen. But save it and open it again, Columns style is kept as it was.

I recommend to send a feedback to Word User Voice.
    https://word.uservoice.com/

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com/

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

I couldn't reproduce this issue when testing in my environment. 

Is there any additional steps I need to pay attention to?

Meanwhile, I'd recommend you rename the Normal.dotm template and then try testing again.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, April 20, 2018 10:13 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 8:04 AM
  • Make sure that you are displaying the document in Print Layout view. On the View tab, click Page Layout.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:07 AM
  • Hi Aiye,

Please share your problematic Word document via cloud storage (such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.).
    If shared, we can check if it is reproduced. I hope you will help those who want to help you.
    Remember to edit/modify your vital/private/corporate data before sharing.

Regards.

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com/

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:24 AM
  • Your description suggests you're re-opening the document in Draft view. You might need to uncheck the 'Allow opening a document in Draft view' option. See under File|Options|Advanced>General.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Hi Aiye,

How is everything going now? Have you got an opportunity to check above suggestions? Please don't hesitate to post back if you would like further assistance on this issue.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:38 AM