Win 7 handwriting recognition - some questions on how it works RRS feed

• Question

• We are using a 3rd party app on Tablet PCs that gives write anywhere capability. This app has its own recognition engine, but there is an option to allow it to combine with the native Win 7 recognizer. What I am trying to work out is if the Win 7 recognizer:-

1. allows both print and cursive.
    2. references a lookup dictionary for all letter combinations.

The reason why item 2 matters is because on some of the fields that are used in our forms we need to enter nonsensical letter combinations. I can set the 3rd party app to not use a dictionary, but if I set the app to combine with the Win 7 recognition engine I think that  the Win 7 engine is trying to make these combinations into words. I'm not positive, however.

Anyone able to provide further illumination?

Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please following the following link to post the screenshots here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

I would like to explain that Windows 7 only provides the basic feature. To use the advanced features, you need to install the third party software which is developed for the third party products specially.

You may try to use the Windows 7 built-in one to test if it can work with your Tablet PC.

If you can let us know the model of your Tablet PC and the third party application, we can search more related information for you.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please following the following link to post the screenshots here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

I would like to explain that Windows 7 only provides the basic feature. To use the advanced features, you need to install the third party software which is developed for the third party products specially.

You may try to use the Windows 7 built-in one to test if it can work with your Tablet PC.

If you can let us know the model of your Tablet PC and the third party application, we can search more related information for you.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Sorry - thanks for your answer - I completely forgot that I had posted this question.

The third party app is called ritePen. After more extensive testing with it I have got my head around it to an extent. I've found that in some instances we need to turn off the feature where it accesses the native Win 7 recognition engine.

I'd still be interested in seeing some Win 7 handwriting recognition documentation - it seems pretty scant from what I can find.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:38 AM