none
DPM 2010 Reporting Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently upgraded to DPM 2010.  This is a new server with a clean 2008 R2 OS installation and a new DPM 2010 installation.  I then restored the DB from my old DPM 2010 server and did a dpmsync with the storage that had moved from the old server to the new.  Just about everything is working correctly from the backup side, but no reports work.  This was a default install of DPM 2010 with local SQL 2008.  Here is the error if I run any report where ICBACKUP is the name of my server.

An error occurred during client rendering.
    An error has occurred during report processing.
    Cannot create a connection to data source 'DPMReporterDataSource'.
    Cannot open database "DPMDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'ICBACKUP\DPMR$ICBACKUP'.

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:36 PM

Answers

• Actually, I had to delete the user in SQL and re-add.  Then I did steps one and two above.  It seems that the restore of the DB from another server with the same name causes the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Johnnynjr Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Johnny,

It sounds like read permissions on DPMDB are missing for the DPMDBReaders$ICBACKUP local group.

1) Make sure the user DPMR$ICBACKUP is a member of the DPMDBReaders$ICBACKUP local group.

2) Using SQL Enterprise manager, connect to the MSDPM2010 instance and navigate to Databases\DPMDB\Security\Users and ensure the DPMDBReaders$ICBACKUP group is present and has db_datareader permissions under the Role Members section.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Actually, I had to delete the user in SQL and re-add.  Then I did steps one and two above.  It seems that the restore of the DB from another server with the same name causes the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Johnnynjr Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:13 PM
  • I had the same problem with a similar but different solution (but did not need to delete the user); following a solution from http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/, I did the following:

1) Open SQL Server Management Studio; connect to the MSDPM2010 instance

2) Expand Security then expand Logins; right-click YourDPMServerName\DPMDBReaders$YourDPMServerName and select properties

3) Select User Mapping in the left pane; in the upper right pane, under "Users mapped to this login:" verify DPMDB is selected; In lower right pane, ensure db_datareader and public are both selected; click OK

• Proposed as answer by Hans Vredevoort Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:38 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:24 PM
  • DPM 2010 180 day eval on server 2008r2

How are we connecting to the database instance? I am using the built-in SQL server (installed with DPM) and windows auth does not work and I was never asked to create an SA account.?

My user is in the local admins group. Do I need to add my user to one of the DPM created SQL users groups?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I've the same issue. How did you get in the database?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:15 AM
  • For Windows 2008, you need to right-click SQL Server Management Studio and "run as administrator" - you should be able to connect.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 3:22 PM
  • I had this problem after a recovery of the DPM server to new hardware but with different SQL Instance password on new server.

Thanks very much. It was a very quick fix!

Regards,

Hans Vredevoort
    MVP Cluster

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:40 PM