Connection Group is published as 2 seperate packages RRS feed

• Question

• I have the weirdest issue in App-V 5.0

we use Windows 7 SP1 Clients with App-V 5.0 SP1

I add 2 applications to the App-V Server seperately :

SQL Navigator 7 & Oracle 10.2

they're both unpublished!

I made a new Connection Group named SQL Nav 7 & Oracle 10.2 and added the 2 packages.

when I publish the connection group ,the clients are getting the group ok for the first time.
    after they logoff and logon - the connection group "Breaks" and they get them as 2 seperate packages THOUGH THEY AREN'T PUBLISHED AS PACKAGES!

there's nothing on the eventlog, I tried to sequence both of the packages again and - nothing. same result

any ideas ?! :/

Tamir Levy

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi David.

thanks for checking up.

I tried Ben's idea by comparing the packages' xml files. they both were the same

I changed them from <Objects Enabled=”true” /> to <Objects Enabled=”false” /> , imported the new configuration and it still didn't work.

I even tried to publish the connection group on a completely different App-V 5.0 Server - it still was the same :/. the connection group received as 2 seperate packages even though they weren't published individually.

I got instructions to finish this case as soon as possible no matter what, so unfortunately, my solution was to deploy the SQL Navigator with the Oracle 10 Client with DSC via App-V 4.6.

obviously it is not a real solution and I really hope I will be the only one who will experience this weird behavior and that we didn't miss a bug discover that could help others.

I stopped counting the times I gave up and forced to go back to App-V 4.6 packages instead of moving forward to App-V 5.0...

Thanks anyone for your help

Tamir Levy

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are using the App-V Server to "achieve" all this, and not standalone and not SCCM;

Yes, this would be expected behavior.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:50 PM
  • @Nicke: really? This would mean that apps can work together in a connection group only for a short time...

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry, I misread the post. I would assume that the logoff / logon would trigger a sync against the publishing server and something changed on what is published on the client.

Most likely one would have to Review the output of the publishing server (perhaps one package now is published globally, and the other one is per user - that would break it..) and check the event-logs as to what actually happend.

But Connection Group overrrides a lot of package specific settings...

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Nicke, Can you elaborate more on what you said?

I have a VDI pool static environment without SCCM.

obviously, the standalone option - is not an option

how else can I deploy connection groups if not via App-V Server? and why would this be the expected behavior?

to have the connection group only until logoff and that's it?

Tamir Levy

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:59 PM
  • As I wrote, the packages are UNPUBLISHED. which means they aren't published for user groups or computer groups....

the ONLY way they are published is via the Connection Group.

when I get the connection group and open the package it all works fine.
    after a logoff\logon, I open the App-V Client UI and I don't see the connection group, but the packages separately.

I tried to upgrade the Client to SP2 and still the same result

if I navigate to http://appvsrv:82 (The publishing server) I can see the packages as a connection group and not as packages.

Event Viewer doesn't show any errors

I suspect that is has something to do with the fact it's a pooled VDI environment.

the %APPDATA% folder gets sync every logon\logon but the %LOCALAPPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA% get reset every time.

The connection group is not in the local cache by default, so every logon it streams again to the %PROGRAMDATA%\%LOCALAPPDATA% from the server but the %APPDATA%\App-V with all its folders are already there, and that might cause the App-V Client the "Confusion".

if I reset %APPDATA%\App-V, HKCU\Software\Microsoft\App-V, HKCU\Software\Classes\App-V and then logoff and logon again - I get it back as a Connection Group! but only until my next logon :(

any solutions?

Tamir Levy

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Hello,

I don't really see what the problem is though...

They should be published and available on the client if the Connection Group is published?

Is the Connection Group not there afterwards?

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:35 AM
  • I wouldn't rely on the Client GUI's output. I'd rather use get-appvclientconnectiongroup or - pragmatically - check if the applications can see each other's resources during execution.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, February 7, 2014 8:02 AM
  • well, of course that's was the first thing I did

the SQL Navigator requires Oracle client in order to function properly

after users complained they can't connect to databases I tried to did my normal troubleshooting and noticed the SQL Navigator doesn't see the Oracle Client.

only then I looked at the App-V Client and noticed they somehow got separated even though they aren't published

it happens to all the SQL Navigator users. so it's not an issue for some users but all of them :/

as I said, if I reset a user's profile and then logoff and logon again - the connection group gets back again!

but only for one time :(. another logoff and logon brings back the disease...

Tamir Levy

Friday, February 7, 2014 12:40 PM
  • Hello,

OK... well, none of the initial questions I had was answered by your reply. Unfortunately you re-iterated the end-user symptoms and didn't really state anything seen within the logs, how the applications are published or if the Connection Group is still there.

Perhaps if you simply paste the output of get-appvclientpackage and get-appvclientconnectiongroup in a working and non-working scenario, we could then make som general guesses based on that?

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:50 PM
  • Let's try to granular-ly troubleshoot to see what is going on.

The first they get the CG published successfully and everything in both packages appear to work fine - look at what you have under

User Published: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Catalog\PackageGroups

Global Published: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Catalog\PackageGroups

Find out what has changed under here these paths during that second logon attempt.

If these are user published, there's a chance user state management may be having an affect.

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:40 PM
  • OK. thanks everyone

some newer details:

I the command Get-AppVClientConnectionGroups and I get no output

when I ran Get-AppVClientConnectionGroups -All I got this output:

GroupId            : 7419b9fa-d1b8-43b8-a83e-6e2183290899
    VersionId          : 3b40c4f1-3761-4aa2-9daf-961ce74e6278
    Name               :
    IsEnabledToUser    : False
    UserPending        : False
    IsEnabledGlobally  : False
    GlobalPending      : False
    InUse              : False
    InUseByCurrentUser : False
    PercentLoaded      :
    Priority           :

didn't understand what's the difference... but I was able to remove the connection group and the packages manually

then when I ran a manual sync via PowerShell I got this error:
    Sync-AppvPublishingServer : There were errors encountered when trying to publish connection groups from the server
    Operation attempted: RefreshPublishingServer.
    AppV Error Code: 070000000F.

On the event viewer I see these errors now:

EventID: 1008
    Category: Configure Package
    Package {55182fc7-3f23-42b6-ba89-5c90c3300d80} version {1e373fdb-9e0d-4160-9f81-d80374ab9130} failed configuration in folder 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\55182FC7-3F23-42B6-BA89-5C90C3300D80\1E373FDB-9E0D-4160-9F81-D80374AB9130' with error 0xA040132A-0x3.

EventID: 19108
    Catogory: Publishing Refresh
    Failed to publish group due to the failure of the package.
    Group GUID: {7419b9fa-d1b8-43b8-a83e-6e2183290899}
    Group Version GUID: {3b40c4f1-3761-4aa2-9daf-961ce74e6278}
    Package GUID: {55182fc7-3f23-42b6-ba89-5c90c3300d80}

EventID: 19106
    Catogory: Publishing Refresh
    Part or all groups publish failed.
     published: 0
     failed: 1
    Please check the error events of 'Configure/Publish Virtual Application Connection Group' before this message for the details of the failure.

any help will be appreciated!

Tamir Levy

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hello,

As recommended here;

Please check the error events of 'Configure/Publish Virtual Application Connection Group' before this message for the details of the failure.

Do you do this? What did those errors say?

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Maybe it wasn't clear enough,

I copied the 3 error events from the Event Viewer and didn't mention what is the order.

so it's there already:

1. EventID 1008

2. EventID: 19108

3. EventID: 19106

2 is the one that 3 talks about...

it says it didn't publish successfully one of the 2 packages from the connection group. which is a very generic error.

and, just to remind you, both of the packages of the connection group are published successfully if I reset the user's profile 

Tamir Levy

Monday, February 10, 2014 8:16 PM
  • I just wanna add one little thing
    I saw the following KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2799153 which talks about the same eventID though it applies to Microsoft App-V 5.0. 

We use App-V 5.0 SP1 and I also applied the clients to SP2 just for the tests and still- same result

Tamir Levy

Monday, February 10, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Hello,

Neither of the above events are from;

'Configure/Publish Virtual Application Connection Group'

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Wow Ben,

looks very useful and makes sense!

I'll check that out next week and give you a feedback

thank you very much

Tamir Levy

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi Tamir,

Just checking to see if you had a chance to test this, and if so, what your results were?

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Hi David.

thanks for checking up.

I tried Ben's idea by comparing the packages' xml files. they both were the same

I changed them from <Objects Enabled=”true” /> to <Objects Enabled=”false” /> , imported the new configuration and it still didn't work.

I even tried to publish the connection group on a completely different App-V 5.0 Server - it still was the same :/. the connection group received as 2 seperate packages even though they weren't published individually.

I got instructions to finish this case as soon as possible no matter what, so unfortunately, my solution was to deploy the SQL Navigator with the Oracle 10 Client with DSC via App-V 4.6.

obviously it is not a real solution and I really hope I will be the only one who will experience this weird behavior and that we didn't miss a bug discover that could help others.

I stopped counting the times I gave up and forced to go back to App-V 4.6 packages instead of moving forward to App-V 5.0...

Thanks anyone for your help

Tamir Levy

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:20 AM