Vista Problems with 6800 GT OC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, I have installed Vista fresh twice now trying to get this my problem fixed, with no luck.

My problem lies in that when I use the (WDDM) nVidia Driver for my 6800 GT OC, whenever I turn on my computer, the resolution is automatically set at 800x600, when I normally run at 1792x1344, which is a major annoyance to have to change that every time.

When I download and use the latest drivers for Vista from nVidia themselves, the driver is not signed, which might be causing some problems. When I start up, it does keep its last settings which is good, however, video playback is affected, most videos/media (including screensaver, etc) will run with very choppy playback, hanging every second or so.

I have all the latest drivers I can think of, all my video codecs etc, but this seems to be the only thing causing the change for me.

Also, a side note, Aero Glass is not available for me to use now? When i first installed it was there, but once I changed my display driver it became unavailablewith both drivers? It's a shame since I would like to try it out a little bit.

My system is:

P4 3.4ghz

2GB (4 x 512mb) Corsair Performance Dual Channel DDR

nVidia GeForce 6800 GT OC

2 x 160GB WD Caviar 7,200rpm Drives

Asus P5GD1 Motherboard

D-Link AirPlus G 5.4 Wireless

Anyone with the slighest idea please let me know, i don't like having to try and choose the lesser of two evils between these drivers

Thanks

PrimalOrB

Thursday, June 29, 2006 12:42 PM

All replies

• Sorry for DBL Post, but I have a little bit of progress

I Managed to get Aero working, and the cause of the problem was that I have a TV connected to an S-Video cable as a second monitor, and the driver was automatically setting that display to 8-bit, which turned off Aero by defualt.

One question though, the full screen video on second monitor that is in XP, is there such a thing in Vista yet?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:15 PM
  • So you were actually able to get your TV to work in Vista? I have been trying to get mine to work since I installed Vista. I can get it to switch over to the TV, but the problem is that it just flickers. I can see that the OS is there, but it's not even near legible. I use a 6200TC, Aero Glass is working, the TV never has since I installed Vista. It's just a regular ol' NTSC analog TV. Nothing special or fancy. Any ideas?
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 9:15 AM
  • I have a Geforce 6600 so i'm using the same drivers as yours and now problem. Did you install the correct drivers? I mean, the X86 or X64? 
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 3:32 PM
  • I'm using the forceware 88.61 drivers that were put out by Nvidia. What kind of TV do you have and is it hooked up via S-Video?
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 6:09 PM
  • I'm using the 6800 AGP with an LCD display and an Hitachi rear projection LCD display using an HDMI to DVi cable and I'm also getting no response from the DVI connection connected to they Hitachi. Nothing from either the WDDM 6X or Nvidia 88.61. The LCD flatpanel (Phillips) works fine. But nothing with Dual Monitors on Hitachi (getting same error stating that this driver is for a previous Windows version). What is unbelievable is that this same problem has been reported  numerously in both the NVIDIA and Vista forums with no aparent fix! I'm prettly certain this is an NVIDIA driver problem (I think) but what is so aggravating is that there seems to be no fix or update from nvidia.  And the problem has been there since May.

Am I wrong or is there a workaround that I can't seem find in the forums.......... I do remember seeing a post in the NVIDIA forums yesterday that states there is a WDDM 7.XX and he found it by doing a Windows Update  while using both the WDDM and 88.61 nvidia vista display driver. And of course (with my luck :) ) it doesn't find it for me...... Can anybody PLEASE  help me??? Of all Vista drivers this is the only one giving me a problem. The one I need the most.doesn't work. 

I have an Acer Ferrari notebook with an AMD 64 processor that I installed Vista on in a seperate partion using an ATI  display driver and IT WORKS with dual monitors.  I'm hoping Microsoft  can use some influence with NVIDIA.

Sorry for the long "semi-rant".

jffcurt

P.S.  I hope I didn't leave anything out :)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:36 PM
  • Sorry for DBL Post but I should add that this problem seems to only be occuring with Displays that are TV's or have TV functionality.  I did try to connect my Hitachi to DVI without dual monitors and I got the black flickering screen. Thanks.
    Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:44 PM
  • I did finally get my TV display to work....You need to use the compatability feature. If you go to the folder that was created when you unzipped or intalled the nvidia driver you right click on the setup.exe file go to properties and then under the compatability tab check XP Service Pack 2 then reinstall the driver by going to system/device manager/network display/nvidia and open the properties tab and then upgrade the driver and point it to the nvidia file you just changed. Vista will then install 88.61 version. The only drawback I've found so far is the aero glass feature that shows the transparent border around the edges of windows is turned off.

This is just a temp fix until nvidia gets off their duff and fix the driver...

Monday, July 17, 2006 4:08 PM