none
MDT 2013: ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)

Question

• Hi,

I try to capture a custom image but at the end of the process, I get the following error (see attached image):

ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)

Could someone help me to solve this please?

ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:16 PM

Answers

• Can you reproduce the issue?

try running from the command line:

cscript.exe ztiwindowsupdate.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

that should show the line number where the program crashed.

Additionally, you might check the WindowsUpdate.log file to see if it reported any errors.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Saturday, May 17, 2014 5:34 AM

All replies

• Wow, since 2 months, nobody has got this issue too?

Can't believe it.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:12 AM
  • Yep, we have that problem to, but not all the time. Still no solution on it I'm affraid.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Can you reproduce the issue?

try running from the command line:

cscript.exe ztiwindowsupdate.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

that should show the line number where the program crashed.

Additionally, you might check the WindowsUpdate.log file to see if it reported any errors.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Saturday, May 17, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi everybody,

I'm getting this message time to time and I don't know why. I have the ZTIWindowsUpdate.log who says:

<![LOG[Ready to Opt-In to Microsoft Update: WUA Version: 7.6.7601.18804]LOG]!><time="15:35:07.000+000" date="04-14-2015" component="ZTIWindowsUpdate" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIWindowsUpdate">
    <![LOG[ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)]LOG]!><time="15:35:37.000+000" date="04-14-2015" component="ZTIWindowsUpdate" context="" type="3" thread="" file="ZTIWindowsUpdate">
    <![LOG[Event 41002 sent: ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)]LOG]!><time="15:35:38.000+000" date="04-14-2015" component="ZTIWindowsUpdate" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIWindowsUpdate">

Do we have an explanation for this issue? Or, do you know how to fix that?

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:24 PM
  • As I mention in my last post, open an elevated cmd.exe window, and try running the script manually with the following command:

cscript.exe \\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\ztiwindowsupdate.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

and capture the error output in the reply.

Otherwise there is nothing to do.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:28 PM
  • I am receiving this error, however, when I go and rerun that script, it runs fine with no errors.  I re-imaged the PC again, ran the script in debug mode like you requested and this is what I am getting:
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.'debug' parameter was specified.Property debug is now = TRUEProperty debugcapture is now =Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.3.8330.1000SUCCESS: 0: Create object: Set oScriptClass = New ztiwindowsupdateBegin Windows Update. Reboot=[]  Retry=[]  Count = 2Property MSIT_WU_Count is now = 3Update progress [ 0 ] : Initializing Windows Update process (pass 3)Configuring Windows Update settings (manual update, use server)Windows Update Agent verion 8 found, OK to continueReady to Opt-In to Microsoft Update: WUA Version: 10.0.17134.1\\servername\deploymentshare$\scripts\ztiwindowsupdate.wsf(159, 5) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object
    Pretty much the same error.

• Edited by bguy_1986 Monday, June 11, 2018 3:14 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 2:47 PM
  • I am seeing this error when trying to create a reference build where I only enabled the Windows Update Pre and Windows Update Post tasks in the Task Sequence.  MDT-8450 running on Server 2012 R2.  I found a reference to this error on older versions of MDT and confirmed the code fix is present in the 8450 build.  Windows Update appears to be working properly and the updates appear to be installing successfully.

BDD.LOG:

ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIWindowsUpdate: ActiveX component can't create object (429)    ZTIWindowsUpdate    10/14/2018 11:28:03 PM    0 (0x0000)

Monday, October 15, 2018 4:36 PM