Not supported file type RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello, I've been downloading from Mininova for quite some time now, I've used Windows DvD Maker ( Came with Windows Vista) for burning DVDs for awhile. Recently I tried to burn a few movies and I keep getting the same issue,

"File could not be added. C:\Users\Username\Docs\Moviename.avi is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported".

Now I know for sure it used to burn avi's just fine.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hotshadow

It's difficult to pin down the exact reason, but basically, despite the '.avi' file extension, the file is not being recognized as an .avi file type. It could be corruption in the file or a file of some other type that someone simply changed the name to xxxxxx.avi, or ???

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hotshadow

The reason that this message is usually displayed is because the structure of the file does not match the file extension type. This may be a file that was converted from another format and the conversion did not work properly.

I don't know of any way to resolve this except to try and download the file from a different source.

I'm not familiar with Mininova, but if they have community forums, you might try asking this question there.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie.  Still not sure why the files will not burn to a DVD.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Hotshadow

It's difficult to pin down the exact reason, but basically, despite the '.avi' file extension, the file is not being recognized as an .avi file type. It could be corruption in the file or a file of some other type that someone simply changed the name to xxxxxx.avi, or ???

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:19 PM