Vista Black Screen with only mouse pointer RRS feed

• Question

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/193b7008-ce4b-4d03-acc3-b8d7ffe610d5/

I was following the above the thread for my problem but could not update my solution so i am posting it here.

I had a similar issue with vista in a black scree and only mouse pointer. Nothing else works even in safe mode. I have tried most of the solutions. One of the solution was to set the file permissions on the folders.

My issue started when the system ran a chkdsk and from then on , Vista boots a blank scree with a mouse pointer.

I spent more than a day trying all fixes but nothing resolved.

Solution that worked: Gave every one full permission on the C:  all folders and files.

I did this by connecting my Laptop Hard drive to a different machine as my an external drive and changes the file pemissions.

This worked. I was almost .. at the verge of getting ready for a fresh install.

If you cannot remove the Hard drive out, you can still use a vista repair disk or any emergency disk. You can search for solutions on how to change file permissions for your scenario.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:34 PM