none
Disk2VHD for File server cluster

Question

• Hi All ,

I`ve file server windows 2008 cluster (2 nodes) and I need to perform p2v using disk2vhd so any recommendation regarding its procedures? or normally I can convert node by node normally? what about the file server storage after virtualize the server? what about quorum disk?  

Edward

Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:36 AM

All replies

• any recommendation regarding its procedures?

Don't.  P2V of 2008 nodes is chancy at best.  You are talking about a clustered environment here.  Clusters have very integral relationships with the physical hardware on which they are running.  I doubt you could even successfully convert a physical cluster node into a virtual cluster node.  People cluster resources because of critical business needs.  Adding all the unknown artifacts that can result from a P2V is just adding unnecessary risk to the clustered environment.

And it is pretty hard to come up with a reason to even do it.  It does not take much at all to create a new cluster.  And there are cluster migration tools to migrate resources from one cluster to another. 

The recommendation is to build your new cluster (and it would be a really good time to upgrade the operating system) and migrate the resources.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:49 PM
  • Fine but shall I create new cluster with another name? what about the users as they already connected with the current cluster name ?

Edward

Saturday, February 4, 2017 2:28 PM
  • Accessing by name is really easy to adjust.  You can build the new cluster with another name and then test to make sure you have everything work fine.  Then when you are ready to switch, rename the cluster.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Saturday, February 4, 2017 7:27 PM