none
Application User Interfaces

Question

• Hello,

Are there any GPO settings that can affect an applications UI from launching?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Ethan,

Agreed. I am now looking at this issue possibly being caused by Citrix. An older version of VLC (1.x) works just fine but a newer version (2.x) does not but use to. Something changed with Citrix seems to be what is causing the UI not to come up.

Another test I ran was to install an older version (1.x) locally on the VDI session which worked just fine but the 2.x version hung during install.

Robert

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:00 PM

All replies

• AppLocker or Software Restriction Policies maybe?

Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Are there any GPO settings that can affect an applications UI from launching?

Could you please elaborate a bit on this? You mean stop a specific application from running?

If this is the case, then <Narcoticoo> is right that you can use Software Restriction Policies to accomplish this. For more information about Software Restriction Policies, please refer to this TechNet article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831534.aspx

If it's a programs that are started by the Windows Explorer process, then you can use "Don't run specified Windows applications" policy setting to block it:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811970.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Hi Ethan,

I work on with packaging applications using App-V. The problem I am running into is, I have 2 apps that launch but the UI doesn't come up in a VDI session and they use to. I was wondering if there is a GPO that will block an apps UI from rendering. If so, which GPO would do this?

Both apps work in our virtual test environment and on a physical asset like a laptop. I started to think it was an issue with mmhook but further testing has shown otherwise.

Robert

Monday, December 7, 2015 5:22 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for the clarification. I don't aware of any GPO that will cause this kind of issue. If it's a certain policy setting, you will usually get some kind of "this application is blocked by ..." message when you are trying to lauch the appliation.

So this only happens on VDI session? Did you get any message?

Please first have a check at the event log and see if anything useful is recorded there.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi Ethan,

Agreed. I am now looking at this issue possibly being caused by Citrix. An older version of VLC (1.x) works just fine but a newer version (2.x) does not but use to. Something changed with Citrix seems to be what is causing the UI not to come up.

Another test I ran was to install an older version (1.x) locally on the VDI session which worked just fine but the 2.x version hung during install.

Robert

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Another test I ran was to install an older version (1.x) locally on the VDI session which worked just fine but the 2.x version hung during install.

Thanks for the update Robert.

As per your test, it's clear that something got changed in the newer version of VLC and was causing the issue. You might want to check with Citrix for a confirmation and solution on this.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, December 18, 2015 6:16 AM