none
Search Index not including Outlook data

Question

• Outlook searching was not working on Outlook 2016/Win10 machine.

Rebuilding index does not seem to include outlook data but cant figure out why

It is listed to be included in Indexing and i have unchecked, rebooted, rechecked, reindexed.

Checked that .msg files are included

Deleted the Windows.edb file and rebuilt.

Done everything possible. But when i reindex, it comes out with the same number of files no matter if outlook is included or not (I am only checking the minimum for testing purposes)

So i get around 3000 files if outlook is not checked. I check it and get the same # of files (Outlook has 800+ just in the inbox). Outlook file is only around 2.5gigs.

Not sure if its related, but after quicksearch didnt work, also tried advanced search which produces the error of "outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook cannot display this view. Out of memory or system resources..." when searching all frequently used text fields. Only suggestion online is updating which i did. Office 2016 is fully updated.

Any suggestions?

Bob Karon Computer Solutions www.INeedBob.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 4:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm experiencing the same issue since installing the February updates yesterday.  I installed the February updates to fix a different problem in Excel that I got from the January updates. (oddly enough, I installed the updates on March 13. Why I didn't get the February ones then I don't know.)

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Only suggestion online is updating which i did. Office 2016 is fully updated.

You might have already read the following article - this seems to be a known issue which has been fixed in build 16.0.7167.2040 and higher:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/When-searching-messages-using-Advanced-Find-in-Outlook-2016-you-received-an-error-message-Outlook-cannot-perform-your-search-f5f96787-79df-4e05-81e1-d19483ff2637

I'm not able to repro this with Office 365 in build 7927.1006. What's the exact build number of your Office client?

By the way, what type of email account do you use (POP, IMAP, MAPI or Exchange)? For Exchange account, please note that Outlook 2016 now uses the Exchange Search Index in priority, not the Windows Index.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:25 AM
  • Thanks, but have had office check or and install all updates so it current, problem still happens.

That link just says to install updates. :)

There are 2 accounts in this outlook profile, one is POP and one is office365.

Still cant get it to work.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:03 PM
  • Microsoft did not issue updates in February, they skipped it for a reason they have not disclosed.

Not sure if the march update is what caused this problem to start for us or not. :(

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for the update Bob.

What's the exact build number of your Office client? I'd give it a try on my end.

(In Outlook, the build number can be found by going to File>Office Account>"Update Options" section.)

Regards,

Ethan Hua

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:32 AM
  • Version 1702 Build 1702 7870.2024

When having it check for updates its saying its up to date.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Bob for the update.

I have confirmed that this is a known issue with the March Update for the Current Channel (Version 1702 (Build 7870.2020) or later) of Outlook 2016 for people that are using an Office 365 installation.

The current workaround is to revert to an old build (e.g. I have tried to revert to 16.0.7571.2109 which is the January 4 release, instant search was recovered.).

Microsoft is actively investigating this issue but no release date for a fix could be provided at this point. We will keep you updated on this.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:58 AM
  • And how do you recommend we revert to the old build?

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:17 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Here you go:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-click-to-run

Reference about version and build numbers of update channel releases for Office 365 clients:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt592918.aspx

Regards,

Ethan Hua

• Marked as answer by Bob Karon Monday, March 27, 2017 11:52 AM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 6:34 AM
  • So these instructions are fine until the point of telling it to install a previous version and it does not. 

This is the command i am using on an elevated command prompt:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun 
    then
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7766.2071

(I have also tried older versions)

and each time i get

So it wont revert to an older version. This is a Single PC i am testing it on. Its not part of a domain, i AM logged in as an administrator.

Next suggestion please?

Friday, March 24, 2017 11:41 AM
  • Hi Bob,

As per your previous description, your computer was on "Current" channel. However, the update that you are trying to use (16.0.7766.2071) was on "First Release for Deferred".

You will need to update to a previous build on the same update channel as your current installation, for example, as mentioned above, 16.0.7571.2109.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

• Marked as answer by Bob Karon Monday, March 27, 2017 11:51 AM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Thank You.

Monday, March 27, 2017 11:51 AM
  • This should be the answer, not Bob!

I've 2 customers with this issue. All of them are with pop/imap and office 2016 1702.

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Please help me pick the right version to rollback to for
    [Office 2016 Home and Business 32 bit ] updating via [Click-to-run] on [Windows 7 64 bit] ?

The page you refer to mt592918 references Office 365 - does this page and its versions also apply to other Office installs when using CTR (i.e. our Home&Business) for updates as opposed to having them in Windows update?

The page lists current version being 1702-build 7870.2031 released TODAY March 27
    and it lists our installed version 1702-build 7870.2024 released March 14th

When we check 'Office Updates', it reports it is up to date - IS THIS ACTUALLY GOING TO INSTALL TOMORROW (Tuesday) and we'll be all fixed up anyway ???? or that version still has not fixed it?

The page you refer to kb2770432 states  "16.0.xxxx.yyyy represents the full version number "
    Such numbering scheme does not exactly appear on the other page listing versions - I gather the xxxx.yyyy is the build, but does 16.0 refer to a version 16xx (from the year 2016)  or to Office 2016 (which may be a version 17xx from the year 2017)?

Our "About Outlook" says it is currently 16.0.7830.1013 ... this is already an earlier version than the bug being introduced in build 7870.2020 ?

• Edited by OttIT Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:22 AM
  • The page lists current version being 1702-build 7870.2031 released TODAY March 27

When we check 'Office Updates', it reports it is up to date - IS THIS ACTUALLY GOING TO INSTALL TOMORROW (Tuesday) and we'll be all fixed up anyway ???? or that version still has not fixed it?

YES! It looks like it will be the fix - I found the release notes https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mt465751.aspx - it includes "Fix an issue where the user can't search PST files"

Can I run the CRC command to force it to update now (because 'Office update' claims it's up to date?)

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:36 AM
  • I took a dinner break, came back and for fun hit the "Office Update" button again.
    IT WORKED!

i.e. As of March 27, the update to 1702-build 7870.2031 does indeed fix the search bug introduced earlier this month.

• Proposed as answer by OttIT Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:22 AM
  • Good. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:43 AM