none
Exclude a special time window for Backups with DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

here is what i want: I am using DPM 2010 to backup a Exchange 2010 DAG Cluster. Now I want DPM to DON´T do any backups between a given time window (8pm till 10pm). Now, PLEASE, don´t ask why i want to do that, just tell me if it´s possible and yes, how to do it ;-)

best regards,

Joerg

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will consider this in future releases of DPM.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:02 AM

All replies

• I also want to synchronize files from clients every hour, but only between 09:00-18:00. Is this possible?
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunatly, DPM does not give you the option to choose times for which not to do backups.  The easiest way to prevent backups for a server is to simply disable the agent under the agents tab when you don't want backups to run, the then re-enable it when you want to resume.  I'm not sure if / how to accomplish that using power-shell, but if it's possible, you could schedule the power-shell commands to stop - start the againt daily. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Hello Mike,

thanks first of all. But I find it very hard to believe that such a basic demand for an enterprise backup system is not yet implemented in a system like DPM2010. could you figure out a workaround for us (for example the powershell script you mentioned)?

best regards,
    Joerg

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Can you please elaborate some more on why such option is required? Today DPM is designed in such a way that even something happens during the hour(like the one in which you want to exclude the backups to happe) DPM continues the backups from where it was successfull last time. I am not sure if we understand your exact requirements.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Let's say you protect 500 client computers that are on only on business hours, Monday-Saturday 08:00-18:00.
    And you want to synchronize the files every hour.
    After the clients are turned off, you will have thousands of alerts and you will not have a complete picture of the protection status, because most of the protection groups will be in a warning state.

Another example:
    You have a SQL server with a huge database that needs to be synchronized every 15min, near real time protection.
    But every night, during a 1 hour interval you run maintenance operations on the database (purges etc). You really don't want to backup anything during that time, beacause the server will be used heavily (maintenance).
    Of course, you cand make a script that blocks the DPM backup attempt. But again, that generates more alerts.

There are lots of examples.

From a programming point of view, it's *REALLY* very simple to introduce excluded times in DPM.

Monday, June 7, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Savarina is very right about that, there are a thousands of examples, this is BASIC backup stuff. And thats why I explicitly asked you, Microsoft, to PLEASE not to ask why I want to do that.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:25 AM
  • ...very much better way would be to provide a powershell script/workaround/idea/patch which could help.

best regards,

Joerg

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will consider this in future releases of DPM.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:02 AM
  • yes i have been looking for something like that as well for DPM 2007

example

one Saturday of the month we patch and our servers are rebooted

i would like to run a script that will cancel the snaps from 6pm -11pm because the servers can be rebooted anytime between those times

some times DPM is backing them up and will stall them on shutdown.

or the syncs fail and i have to run them manually becasue they were rebooted

The exchange service wont stop because DPM has a hold on the DB

thanks hope this clarifies

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

more than a year has passed now - may i ask if you implemented some logic which will do what i asked for? or at least a workaround?

Best regards,
    Joerg

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

No new logic has been added. A solution is to write a powershell script and schedule it to run daily to cancel scheduled jobs for that day between the hours you don't want any jobs to run.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:41 PM
  • And still no patch for this?
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:28 PM