User profile display name problem RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a MOSS 2007 environment and all users are imported by programming into SharePoint User Profile and are searchable.

All user have display name but not all of them can be displayed in our SharePoint site.

Only those users which already added into any SharePoint Group show their display name in the user account.

For those who are not added into any SharePoint Group, he/she will only see their login ID in SharePoint site.

Why is this happened and is there any solution to it? Thank you.

Best,

Chris

• Moved by Lily Wu Monday, August 15, 2011 12:57 AM MOSS 2007 issue. Thanks. (From:SharePoint 2010 - Using SharePoint Designer, Infopath, and other customization)
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 15, 2011 7:47 AM No need for "SharePoint Title as default here.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Your thread now is here.

Thanks & Regards。

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07 AM
  • I wonder if this is connected to the code you are using to import them. If you want a permanent solution then you probably need to look there.

But if you want to clear up the problem now that it has happened, you can go into the list of Users and (one-by-one) change the display name for these users to the Display Name you want to see there. By default the display name is the login name which is why this is being shown for those users who were not already assigned to the SP system by being in a SP group.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:54 AM
  • I'm using the code in import user in User Profile which show all users with display name correctly. If any user isn't added in any SharePoint Group, his/her display name would remain as the login name but not the display name.

Is there any similar case that display name would not be import to SharePoint site if he is not added in Group?

Thank you.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:05 AM
  • HI Chris,

Your issue needs some diagnosis .

Follow these steps:

1. Go to SSP and check the profiles of these added users whether they are showing the display name correctly or not.

2. Go to the userinfo table of the site collections to see if the name is getting displayed properly over there or not.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, August 22, 2011 1:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chris-Y Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:36 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 10:45 AM
  • 1. I went to SSP and checked the target profiles that the use showing correct display name.

2. Went to the SQL userinfo table under specified site collections

a. Site Collection A, with content database WSS_Content_A, shows correct display name. (The target user was added in SharePoint Group under Site Collection A)

b. Site Collection B, with content database WSS_Content_B, doesn't show correct display name (The target user wasn't added to any SPGroup under Site Collection B)

any idea?

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:02 AM