Vista x64 vs x86 performance wise.. surprising results here (x64 better)? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I could have sworn that previous things i had read, stated that running x64 vista was generally 5-20% slower than the x86 version?

I ran some recent tests on my hardware with PerformanceTest v6.1 (an x86 version and x64 version)...

My base computer is a 1.86GHZ dual core with 4gb memory and a geforce 8600GT pci-e x16 card.. the harddrives are all SATAII.

I kept the software set identical on each machine, each machine was bare formatted and then only a handful of apps installed.. same configs on each:

My basic Passmark rating on x86 was 472.2 and 575.1 on x64 (so x64 was 17.9% better overall).

I did the run all tests option (and clicked cancel when it tried to test the Cdrom)...  The x86 lagged behind the x64 in all areas except CPU find prime numbers, CPU string sorting.. Disk sequential read (so in these 3 categories the x86 version performed better)...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks 

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, as your CPU is 64-bit, which can be more compatible with x64 Windows Vista, especially the software which you used is also 64 bit version, that's the reason why the x64 performance is better.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, as your CPU is 64-bit, which can be more compatible with x64 Windows Vista, especially the software which you used is also 64 bit version, that's the reason why the x64 performance is better.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:35 AM