none
Increasing system priority for wuauclt.exe crashes Windows Update client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The system is a Lenovo G40 notebook running Windows 8.1, with Comodo firewall, and Avast free antivirus.

When Windows Update is downloading updates, if I open Task Manager and increase system priority to High for wuauclt.exe, this crashes the Windows Update client. Specifically, there is no error message, but Windows Update ceases to carry out tasks, and no longer responds to the pointer.

Prior to using Windows Update, I disable the Avast antivirus.

Windows Update is set to: "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

I would appreciate a solution for this issue.

Regards,

Robert339

• Edited by Robert339 Monday, October 10, 2016 8:45 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• I shall suggest you to reset windows update components and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, October 10, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hi Robert339,

According to your description, I suggest that we could boot in Clean Boot to check. Then temporarily turn off the firewall and antivirus software. Then we could reset the Windows Update components as Sengupta provided.

Meanwhile we could try update to Microsoft Update client.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regards,

Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Hello S.Sengupta and Carl Fan,

Well, advice has been given, for which I am grateful, and you quite reasonably would like some feedback.

I do not consider it to be quite as simple as that.

You see, the advice given here is not a specific solution tested for the specific issue, but rather it would have me make what I feel, are significant changes to the system, in the hope this will both:

Resolve the issue reported, and also not cause any further issues.

Therefore it is risk against perceived benefit, and in this case the issue is not worth the risk of making such changes.

System Restore - you are thinking protects the system, so why not test the advice!

No, it does not properly protect the System.

My experience is that System Restore only works about a third of the time that it is used for attempting to restore to a restore point.

Not only can System Restore fail to restore to a restore point, but one can also get the somewhat inconvenient System Restore error message which includes, letting you know that

the Restore not only failed, but your restore point got corrupted during the attempt, and has been deleted!

- - - - Update starts: - - - -

The question I posted here, refers to a computer running Windows 8.1, but I omitted to mention that my experience with poor performance of System Restore was from using a different computer that runs Windows 7, SP1.

Thus clarification: This is why I am reluctant to test the reliability of System Restore on the Windows 8.1 system, and particularly since that machine is not mine.

- - - - End of update - - - -

That therefore is the reason why I decline to test the advice.

It is a pity that setting the System to a higher priority for the Windows Update client, can cause the Windows Update client to crash, and the solution for this issue would seem better resolved by way of a patch. This computer cannot be the only one with such an issue.

I would also like to sincerely thank both of you for taking the time and trouble to answer.

Regards,

Robert339

• Edited by Robert339 Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:35 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:50 AM