none
How can I connect to a remote computer using Windows Management Instrumentation Tester ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody !

I am having problems connecting with the remote machine to get the hardware information about another computer in LAN.

I watched this video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtxo8re2_9w  and the steps I did are the ones below:

1.Open Windows Management Instrumentation Tester

2.Click Connect button

3.On namespace, i put      \\the_name_of_the_remote_machine\root\cimv2

But, it is showing an error message :

Number: 0x800706ba
    Facility: Win32
    Description: The RPC server is unavailable.    Can anyone please help me ? I don't know how to manage it :(

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• So, no one answers here ? :(

If I want to connect to a remote machine, do I need to be an administrator of the entire LAN or an administrator of my local machine ?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:26 AM
  • RPC server unabailable can be caused by a corrupt WMI database or a firewall or anti-virus blocking the connection. Try running WMIDiag, the log files it generates usually pinpoint the problem.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:55 PM
  • RPC server unabailable can be caused by a corrupt WMI database or a firewall or anti-virus blocking the connection. Try running WMIDiag, the log files it generates usually pinpoint the problem.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thank you, I downloaded the exe you gave me, but I don't know how to properly use it :(

I opened it when I got the message above and it opened the command prompt. It seems like it runs forever. Does it show any message where the error is ?

Thank you so much and sorry for asking you so many things, but I am a beginner and I need to learn how to do this.

Friday, February 1, 2013 4:23 PM
  • When you double click on the .EXE file, it will prompt you to specify where it should extract the files to. In that location you should see a WMIDiag.doc file that explains how to use the tool and where it puts the output files. And yes, it can take 5-10 minutes for it to run, maybe longer if it has to do any repairs.

Monday, February 4, 2013 7:36 PM