Support of OData V4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does the latest version of Power Query support OData V4.0 JSON format? I tried using the V4.0 samples published at http://www.odata.org/odata-services/ but seems PQ doesn't recognize these services as OData sources (as they are JSON formats?)

Thanks

A.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:01 AM

Answers

• Power Query does not yet support OData v4. It's fairly high on our list of priorities, but we haven't yet scheduled the work.
    • Proposed as answer by Curt Hagenlocher Monday, June 16, 2014 3:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by MRSA Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:32 AM
    Monday, June 16, 2014 3:47 AM

All replies

• Power Query does not yet support OData v4. It's fairly high on our list of priorities, but we haven't yet scheduled the work.
    • Proposed as answer by Curt Hagenlocher Monday, June 16, 2014 3:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by MRSA Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:32 AM
    Monday, June 16, 2014 3:47 AM

• I'd like to express interest in OData v4 support being added to PowerQuery as soon as is possible.  We're looking to stand up some new OData Web Services soon, with one of the main goals to be able to use PowerQuery for querying these data sources, and it would be a shame for us to have to use an older version of OData just for this feature.
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:18 PM
  • I would like to second that support.  We are looking at rolling a large OData biodiversity feed and support in Excel for OData v4 is critical for us.  Otherwise, we will fall back to OData v3
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:28 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback. We're committed to shipping support for OData v4, but aren't ready to give a date for when we think it will be available. Given our current development cycle, the absolute earliest you could see it would be in the beginning of October -- and it's my hope that we'll ship it before the end of the year. But that's not a commitment; it's a guess at scheduling that aims to help you make decisions about what to implement on your side.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:43 PM
  • I'll throw my hat into the ring with a vote. Is there somewhere we can sign up to find out about when this becomes available?

Thanks

Stu

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:51 PM
  • It would be part of the release notes for an upcoming version of Power Query once it ships.
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:28 PM
  • I'd also like to put down my vote to get this into PowerPivot. We were rather shocked to discover our shiney new data service couldn't be accessed by anyone other than other developers and people who love looking at JSON / ATOM.

That's the cost of being on the bleeding edge I suppose!

VDI for the win!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Please excuse my tone here, but I am frustrated.

Microsoft own OData. I know it's a standard and OASIS and all that, but it's Microsoft's baby, Microsoft define it, change it, push it, own it.

When there is a major, breaking update to the standard, there need to be major, fixing updates to the Microsoft tools that work with the standard: consistently, coherently, concurrently, across the board.

We're now in a situation where the "stable" packages that we install into our Microsoft® ASP.NET Web API 2.2 applications from Microsoft® NuGet produce a Microsoft® OData v4 service which can't be consumed from Microsoft® Office.

This was unacceptable 6 months ago, but now, it just beggars belief.

I don't know what internal tensions are causing this chronic organisational impedance mismatch, but whatever they are, please get over them and start supporting your customers.

Monday, November 24, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Hi, we are working on this as one of the high priorities. We would like to get to preview stage in early next year. Will update when it is ready. Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Hi, 

any updates/schedule on the oData v4 support for PowerQuery ?

oData v3 for WebAPI is very limited at some points so it would be great to have the v4 support in PowerQuery. 

thanks

Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Yes, it would be great to get some information on the availability of oData v4 in PowerQuery.

AFAIS the only workaround right now is using oData v3?
    That would mean for me rebuilding some WebAPI stuff from v4 to v3.... :(

Thx!

Friday, December 26, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Hi, we expect to release Odata v4 support through PowerQuery before the coming Summer.  We will announce as soon as it is available for public to consume.

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:45 PM
  • Any news on the OData v4 support? I`m using OData in my bachelor thesis and Excel would be a great way to demonstrate how flexible the developed service can be used :)
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:38 AM
  • Any news on the OData v4 support?
    Friday, May 8, 2015 12:49 PM
  • I'm not sure why there hasn't been a formal announcement yet, but version 2.22 of Power Query has been available for the last week or so from the download site and it has support for OData v4.

Friday, May 8, 2015 3:06 PM