Custom Folder Icons Disappear from Subdirectory Folders on External Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I change the default folder icons in my subdirectories on my external hard drives where I store all my not-too-often used data in order to minimize data storage on my C: drive.  I store the custom icons for these folders on the external drives on the C: drive which solved one problem that caused the lots of icons to disappear all at once. But now I've found I have another problem, albeit less pervasive.  

For example, I keep photos filed in a directory entitled Family Photos and further in subdirectories by year and finally by month.  I created .ico files for each month. Another example, I keep genealogical information I have about different people in folders I customized with their photos. All this makes it very nice to open a directory and see immediately recognizable, large icons for all the different folders.

It's a lot of work to make the icons from .jpg files, then attach them to the folders only to find I'm having to go back and reassign the custom .ico file to those folders.

Sometimes, and I have no idea why, when I open a given year, or a family subdirectory, one or two of the icons have reverted to the default folder icons. Given that I have done this for several hundred folders, I find I'm having to fix "lost to default" folder icons for several folders every day.

Any idea what causes this to happen and how I can prevent it?

Thank you

Saturday, June 20, 2015 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I made a test using our testing environment and found that if I remove the original icon file from its default location, such as C:\test. After that, when I attach the VHD again, the customized folder icon is missing. after I restored the icon to its default location and refresh the Windows Explorer, then folder icon come back.

According to above testing, it inflect that there is relationship with the icon location. Therefore, for your problem, when you attach the HDD again, if it couldn't find the customized icon file, your folder icon would revert to default.

To fix your problem, you can try to store these icon on the external HDD. According to my test, this method should be work to fix the problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:46 AM