none
Cortana and Search with roaming/mandatory user profiles Does not work windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Microsoft,

On our windows server 2008/2012 domain with a mix of windows 8.1/10 clients.  If a domain user logs onto a windows 10 machine with NO profiles directs from AD.  No issues in opening up cortana and search.

If the domain user logs onto win 10 machine with a directed/roaming/mandatory profile cortana and search does not work

Also under app logs:

1) Under App logs:  Event 5973. activation of app Microsoft.cortana_cw5n1h. cortanaUI failed with error.The remote procedure call failed
     2)Event 1001 fault bucket 133272870393 type 5   event name  MoAppCrash
     3)Event Id 1000 faulting application name SearchUI.exe version 10.0...

Please guide a quick fix from group policy.

Need help plz

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Microsoft,

On our windows server 2008/2012 domain with a mix of windows 8.1/10 clients.  If a domain user logs onto a windows 10 machine with NO profiles directs from AD.  No issues in opening up cortana and search.

If the domain user logs onto win 10 machine with a directed/roaming/mandatory profile cortana and search does not work

Also under app logs:

1) Under App logs:  Event 5973. activation of app Microsoft.cortana_cw5n1h. cortanaUI failed with error.The remote procedure call failed
     2)Event 1001 fault bucket 133272870393 type 5   event name  MoAppCrash
     3)Event Id 1000 faulting application name SearchUI.exe version 10.0...

Please guide a quick fix from group policy.

Need help plz

Although I haven't played with roaming profiles in Windows 10, the fact they break Cortana surprises me zero.  There are all sorts of similar issues in Windows 10.

If you create a local user account, login to that account, Sysprep/generalize the machine, and then login to that local user account after Sysprep has done its thing, you'll see that the Start menu, Cortana, Action Center, and all apps are broken in that account.  If you create a local user account after Sysprep, everything works.

There are serious, serious profile issues in Windows 10.  It's basically not deployable in enterprise for now.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Thanks Jason,

I have been working with roaming and mandatory profiles since windows XP.  The image which I made for windows 10 has all my necessary applications for users.  I have closed the image via sysprep copy profile no problem there.  The local admin user (in my case thinkuser) has no issues with cortana and search.  There is something which breaks in the profile if a domain user uses a profile (does not matter roaming/mandatory) which is placed on a server.
    Still need help.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Microsoft Edge also does not work.  Need help
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:16 PM
  • That's a known problem, but Microsoft still haven't provided a solution, almost 1year after RTM release... Crazy. 

Since we heavly rely on roaming profile in our company, we have to delay Win10 update until this is fixed.

I really tried a bunch of stuff but nothing is working, Cortana is still crashing all the time and flooding Event log. 

Friday, March 4, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hi !

I have also the same problem.

It works only with local profiles.

I have try with a new profile, but its the same.

I have try the last build 14295 and it's the same...

Best regards

KoXo

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is still there with le 14352 build.

After ONE year,  the bug is not corrected.

Cortana does not work in network environment ! (No roaming profile).

KoXo

Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:41 AM
  • HI,

I have same problem. but for new user Cortana is working. 

L

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:46 AM
  • Dear all,

after updating windows 10 prof. and DC Cortana is working

Lekso

Friday, January 27, 2017 6:25 AM