none
Hot adding a new VHD SET to a VM renders existing VHD Sets unusable.

Question

• Setting up a test scenario and trying to use VHD Sets.  I can add one Shared Drive (VHD SET) to a running VM without issue, but when I add a second it seems to remove the first.

My Scenario:

Create 2 VHD Sets on a Server 2016 SOFS File share from Hyper-v Manager.

Enter Settings on a running VM (Hosted on Windows 10 computer for testing purposes)

Select SCSI controller and add a Shared Drive.  Browse to SOFS Share and select the shared drive.

Disk appears in guest VM (Server 2016).  Can be mounted formatted, everything works. (Shows as Disk1 in Disk Management)

Go back to VM Settings, and add a second Shared Drive (Same SCSI Controller or Different controller, makes no difference)

New VHD Set can be formatted and mounted (shows as Disk2)

Disk1 now shows as having an IO error in disk management.  Drive no longer appears in My Computer.

Rescanning disks does not detect Disk1.

Rebooting the Guest VM does cause all volumes to appear and be usable.

If multiple VHD Sets are added while the guest VM is off there are no issues, but I haven't seen a documented restriction on adding VHD Sets to a running VM.  Is this a bug or just the way the feature has to work?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:09 PM

Answers

• All my software is the latest version as of April 11 2017.  

I recreated my test lab on Server 2016 nodes using CSV storage to host the VHD sets and I'm happy to report the work flawlessly there.

As for the test VMs I had running on my WIndows 10 laptop, I'm abandoning that option.  Maybe network timing issues are the problem, maybe it's that fact that the VMs are on windows 10, not server? Unknown.

• Marked as answer by Derek R S Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

It shouldn't happen .

I tested it in my lab ( 2016 SOFS cluster and guest 2016 cluster) .

I can't reproduce this issue .

I'd suggest you install latest updates for hyper-v hosts then test again .

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:19 AM
  • All my software is the latest version as of April 11 2017.  

I recreated my test lab on Server 2016 nodes using CSV storage to host the VHD sets and I'm happy to report the work flawlessly there.

As for the test VMs I had running on my WIndows 10 laptop, I'm abandoning that option.  Maybe network timing issues are the problem, maybe it's that fact that the VMs are on windows 10, not server? Unknown.

• Marked as answer by Derek R S Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:16 PM