SATA switch worked RRS feed

• General discussion

• Thanks all for the posts, they were SO helpful. Sounds like Dell may have addressed the true root cause from that previous post (updated firmware for the DVD/CD drive?) but the "workaround" definately works. I also tried to simply move both CD & DVD drives only the first time, but the freeze remained. Once I put the hard disk and the CD drive onto 2&3, though... it worked fine. I would also agree that the two seperated ports (SATA 0&1) are the problematic ports. If I ever need to use all 6, maybe I'll try the firmware update/bios flash. Thanks for the help, all!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:20 AM

All replies

• On 3/30/2007, Dell released a firmware update for the Phillips DROM6316 HH SATA 16x DVDROM and on 3/25/2007 a BIOS update for the DM061 / E520 machines. I applied both of these this on 4/2/2007 and restored my cable connections (4 to 1 and 5 to 4) to the original factory configuration and reset in SETUP. I have now been running over 24 hours without a freeze. My machine is an E520 running Home Premium. I don’t have any advice for 9200 users, but this might be worth checking out.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 2:47 PM