none
I have a Power BI license but am unable to sign in to Power Query to access shared queries in my organization. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Power BI license and am able to access my organization's Power BI Site and Admin Center.  However, when I try to sign in to Power Query I get an error:

401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.  You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

What am I doing wrong?  Is an additional license needed to access shared queries using Power Query?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you explicitly sign out first, then sign in again? Let me how it goes.

thanks, Sherry

Sunday, May 11, 2014 12:58 AM
  • This did not work Sherry.  I navigated to the Power BI Admin Center and logged out from there.  I logged back in, then tried signing in from Excel / Power Query.  I got the same error.

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Anyone else available to take a look at this for me?  I am still unable to sign in to Power Query.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Could you try using the latest PQ update? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2014/05/29/what-s-new-in-power-query.aspx

Did you also try clearing your Internet Explorer cache? When signing out and back in with PQ, do you get prompted for your email/pwd or it simply closes the Sign In dialog?

Thanks,
    M.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Miguel,

I uninstalled PQ and downloaded the latest update.  I also cleared my IE cache along with all passwords.  I deleted all Credentials related to MS Office from my Windows Vault.  Still, I get the same error.

I am clicking Sign In on the PQ tab in Excel.  It launches a Sign In pop-up.  On this pop-up, I am clicking Sign in.  From there, an IE window opens asking for my organizational account.  I enter my email address, but it does not allow me to enter my password.  It says 'Redirecting' and says 'we're taking you to your organization's sign-in page'.

From there, I am taken to a pages with the error: 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.  You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.  I never have the opportunity to enter a password.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Gary

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Your organization's sign-in is attempting to sign you in to Power Query using the same account and password that you signed in with on your machine. It is completely ignoring the account you typed while signing into Power Query. Is your Power Query account and the account you sign in with on your machine the same account? If not, would you expect the account you signed in with on your machine to also work with Power Query?

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:08 PM
  • My Power Query account and the account I sign in with on my machine are the same account.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Is anyone else in your organization able to login to Power Query?

I'm wondering if this is a Power Query provisioning issue with your organization's tenant.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:47 AM
  • Yes, I've checked with two other users who are able to login to Power Query. 

If this were a provisioning issue, what could be causing the problem? 

I have verified I have the proper licenses for Power BI and I am a member of the Admin Group in the Power BI admin center.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:45 PM
  • If others in your organization are able to login to Power Query, that eliminates tenant provisioning as a possible issue.

From your description of the problem, you were redirected to your organization's STS, and the error you received occurred there. The STS attempted to sign you in with the same account you used to sign in to your computer, but failed with a message that claims your credentials do not have permission to login to the Power Query service.

To eliminate any possibility that the Power Query service rejected your credentials I can check the service logs. To do that I will need your user ID from the Power Query Help dialog and a recent date and time when you attempted the login.

Thanks,
    -Jonathan

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:36 AM
  • I believe this is the User ID you are looking for:
    41bda75f-3f54-48ec-a147-42f6142ab644

I just attempted to login again at around 3:20 PM EST.

Thanks!

Gary

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:25 PM
  • I searched the service logs but did not find any entries with the User ID you provided around the time you attempted to login. That eliminates the Power Query service as the possible issue.

I believe we have narrowed this issue down to your organization's STS. Can you contact the team within your organization that owns the STS? Perhaps they can work with the Azure Active Directory team to figure out what's going on here. In the meantime I will make an enquiry with another team here to see if they have seen this issue before.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:01 PM
  • Thanks Jonathan,

I will check with my team here regarding STS.  Please let me know if you find any additional information from the other team.

Gary

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Jonathan - I was able to get this resolved.  It was related to ADFS and I ended up having to add a couple sites to my local intranet zone.

Thanks,

Gary

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:32 PM