Exchange 2010 SP2 - UM Role - should we dedicate a server to it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I realise variations of this question has been asked before, but not exactly for what I need. We have an Exchange DAG environment and I'm looking to confirm if it is advisable to install the UM role on our 2 existing Exchange servers. We have roughly 600 users and each server is running with 4 cores and 25GB ram in Vmware ESXi 5.1.

I've heard one minor downside is that everytime you want to update an Exchange Server with the UM role, you have to manually uninstall the languagepacks and reinstall a matching version after the update.

We would want to have UM enabled for all our users, but we have no contact center or simlar and the phones aren't used that much. Also we use a language (danish) which doesn't currently support transcription, which should remove most of the CPU usage by the UM role.

So please, can anyone supply some experience in this area or some facts, which can help us with our decision? And yes I've searched through the web extensively, but so far all I've found is that it is supported and some sizing guidelines for enormous companies with many thousands of employees.

Thanks! :-)

• Edited by Casper83DK Friday, March 28, 2014 10:57 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 10:56 AM

Answers

• Well, that is no *right* answer for this of course. One nice about separating the UM role from the others is that you can dedicate a server to do all that heavy-lifting of the speech to text - but since you are not going to do transcription, I would think that adding the UM role to the existing servers would be fine.

Yes, if you are using a language other than US, you will need to remove the language pack and reinstall the latest one after applying an Exchange Server Pack, but its not that big of a deal.

If you were doing transcription, I would say you should definitely separate the UM role out.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by Casper83DK Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:02 PM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 11:21 AM