Multiple Playback Devices RRS feed

• General discussion

• Multiple or Dual Playback Devices - Seriously. You cannot use 2 playback devices simultaneously?  That's nonsense.  I LOVE Windows 7... except for this one reason.  People NEED this feature of the old XP very badly.  To tell you the truth, this is such a basic feature, I'm really surprised Microsoft missed it!!

Windows 7 Microsoft people, you need to fix this with the next update.

This is absolutely crucial to me because I use my computer for an HTPC (home theatre PC) & I'm a dj / producer also.
    In order for me to switch between headphones or headset for talking and listening using Realtek AND HTPC output.... I have to restart my computer.  ANNOYING.  I don't need to switch at all, I need them both to play at the same time! 
    Lets just keep it simple here and say I wanted to play iTunes to three different devices at once (1 default playback device & 2 additional devices)
    Using only 1 communication device.  Windows 7 can't do that.  This is BASIC stuff to audio noobs, but especially sound mixing professionals. Are we forced to go Linux? Mac? Really?  I applaud Windows 7, it's really really great.  This is my only problem with it, but it's a big one.  Even if it was a maximum of TWO playback options with ONE communication device I would be ok with it.  But ONE dedicated playback device is extremely limiting for this stage of technology.  I mean come on guys.
    PLEASE UPDATE WINDOWS 7 FOR MULTIPLE PLAYBACK DEVICES!!!

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

• Edited by mrscottybizzer Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:04 PM
    • Changed type Miya Yao Friday, September 16, 2011 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi mrscottybizzer,

I noticed you've already seen this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/d6644d1b-c660-437c-aa52-b73c2ee3900b 

We've reported this and appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:32 AM
  • While I think Win 7 should have a feature built in to control which application gets output on which audio device it doesn't. How ever it does allow it to be application controlled. Unfortunately the only application I can find that allows this is Win Media Player:

While in WMP press ALT -> Tools -> Options -> Devices -> Speaker -> Select Audio Device

This allows WMP to playback on and alternative device instead of Default Playback Device. So Music or Video can be on another sound device while you game or watch YouTube on default.

I found that DivX Player could be trick by setting Default Playback to Device you want to here the sound on and after DivX is up and running change Default to another Device for all other sound. Doesn't work for iTunes and most other applications.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:49 AM